WW2 German Bunker

Great pictures !!!! Thank you for sharing.

These pictures bring chills down my spine remembering the stories that my mother had told me about her escape out of Lithuania thru Germany with my then 2 year old oldest sister. And of all the atrocities she and my sister witnessed first hand. Luckily they were not one of the many misfortunate ones who ended up in the camps. She used to tell me how they hid in some underground boxes / caves (I assumed bunkers) located on some of the farms where they were staying.

These pictures bring chills down my spine remembering the stories that my mother had told me about her escape out of Lithuania thru Germany with my then 2 year old oldest sister. And of all the atrocities she and my sister witnessed first hand. Luckily they were not one of the many misfortunate ones who ended up in the camps. She used to tell me how they hid in some underground boxes / caves (I assumed bunkers) located on some of the farms where they were staying.

something similar..is a good documentary on this
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/05/0527_040527_grottosurvivors_2.html

Glad your Mother and Sister made it out OK.

My Mother's family emigrated from Austria to the U.S. in 1932. My Mother (the youngest sibling) was the only one in her family born in the USA in 1935.

So how's your German, Bob ? A good portion picked up through Family and Service time ?

So how's your German, Bob ? A good portion picked up through Family and Service time ?

Growing up my grandparents and parents spoke German some of the time....especially when they were mad at us. I was pretty good during my time in the Army but I haven't really had any exposure to German conversation during the last 23 years. I can still speak and understand German but I've regressed quite a bit. Speaking German was a great advantage with the Freulein's. I spoke more slang (Bavarian dialect) where as my relatives spoke correct high German.

So a trip to Germany is overdue. ;)

So a trip to Germany is overdue. ;)

Absolutely! LOL!

Oktoberfest-2013.jpg

Back