WW2 German Bunker

Yep, we would find these type of things everywhere during my 15 years in Germany.

Here's some pictures of Wertheim, Germany and the castle across the valley.

Gieb-31.JPG

There was an underground airfield on this mountain...

pgieb-252.jpg

Your lucky you got 15 yrs in Germany Bob, I could have spent that much time there easily. I was granted 2 yrs with a year deployed to the sand box. Lots of cool castles to explore. My greatest adventure was travelling to Poland to visit Krakow, and bicycling for a month on leave around Germany, camping on the Rhine. Thanks for posting this up 72 lots of good memories.

Your welcome everyone. I enjoy this stuff. Goggle ghost ships for something else interesting. Ships that were abandoned, but still floating around many years afterwards.

Your lucky you got 15 yrs in Germany Bob, I could have spent that much time there easily. I was granted 2 yrs with a year deployed to the sand box. Lots of cool castles to explore. My greatest adventure was travelling to Poland to visit Krakow, and bicycling for a month on leave around Germany, camping on the Rhine. Thanks for posting this up 72 lots of good memories.

I was stationed at Wertheim for 4 years, Bad Hersfeld for 3 and Augsburg (my favorite) for 8.5 years and a year in the sandbox too.

I love walking all the trails in the German countryside too.

I was stationed at Wertheim for 4 years, Bad Hersfeld for 3 and Augsburg (my favorite) for 8.5 years and a year in the sandbox too.

I was at Bitburg/ Spangdahlm for my 2 and was all set for a nice long stay, when I returned from deployment we had a new commander who didn't like homesteaders, and we had alot of em, the cut was 2 yrs so we all got the boot. I traveled every chance I was off. The first weekend in country a group of us went up to Amsterdam for the show! Seemed like there was always something going on / to do in Europe.

I was at Bitburg/ Spangdahlm for my 2 and was all set for a nice long stay, when I returned from deployment we had a new commander who didn't like homesteaders, and we had alot of em, the cut was 2 yrs so we all got the boot. I traveled every chance I was off. The first weekend in country a group of us went up to Amsterdam for the show! Seemed like there was always something going on / to do in Europe.

I was a traveler all over Europe. I could be a tour guide in Bavaria. Neuschwanstein Castle and the other 2 that King Ludwig built plus many other castles. I was 20 minutes NW of Munich so I could be the guide for Munich and Octoberfest. I was in Berlin at least 100 times before the Wall came down. I loved being stationed in Germany!

I was in Geilenkirchen, north of Aachen for three years. Loved the assignment, travelled a BUNCH, and met a lot of really great people.

While I was there, I was involved with a group of Dutch airplane wreck hunters. They located the remains of a B-17 that crashed on the Dutch-German border in 1944, and a Messerschitt ME202 that crashed in 1945. Lots of fascinating things there, no doubt.

We also toured a portion of the WWI Maginot Line, not too far from Spa, Belgium. The sense of history is profound.

I plan on going back to Germany after I retire and take my nephew and niece with me and give them a 30 day whirlwind tour.

Salute to all on FCBO that have served....in Armies from all around the world!

images.jpg

images.jpg

l grew up playin in bunkers and castles...walkin down the road and seein a bomb in ditch taped of was a common appearance still in 65..perks of bein a base brat

Back