1966 Dodge Town Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who remembers the "Beverly Hillbillies" episode "The Beverly Caterers"?
i229932.jpg

i229932.jpg

That would be a great vehicle to use for your business. You could use it as a tax write off as a business expense to soften the blow a bit. Get it Mike!

Wonder how long it would take to have the first inside out ding. But you're right it should be used sparingly for business.

Wonder how long it would take to have the first inside out ding. But you're right it should be used sparingly for business.

Never thought about that, the exterior of my work van looks good, but I have protective panels inside. It would be babied for sure.

It would take the place of my work car: small interior and exterior, big exterior where I leave all my stuff on the job and drive this in between, and give estimates (I'll do that in my 300 too).

As a former body worker I inevitably scan every surface of a car even when walking along the street and the smallest ding hurts the eye. Something I can't get rid of.

The interior of the cargo area has a double wall about 2' up from the floor. Above that is a heavy layered paper/board that trims it out .... including the headliner.
The floor in a Town Panel is like a older pick up with steel rub strips and boards .... and the Town Wagon has a marine plywood floor covered with a "battleship" linoleum material.

4-8-09 002 (Large).jpg

Thanks for filling me in, the European stuff was always prone to such damage, mostly all single wall with just a reinforcement strip glued to the wall about half way up.

As a former body worker I inevitably scan every surface of a car even when walking along the street and the smallest ding hurts the eye. Something I can't get rid of.

You'd hate these old Dodge trucks then. Anywhere there is a body panel spot weld there will be a "dimple" in that panel. Both this truck and my 64 D200 crew cab have these "dimples" all the way along the bed/body sides.
That's how they were made.

You can see the weld "dimples" along the lower side of the pick up box in this photo ..... those are OEM

crew cab at sneed swap meet (Large).jpg

Last edited:
That doesn't hurt at all. I can drool over such original manufacturing details and would never hone them out. Just the ones that don' t belong there. Many French cars have these dimples around the doors, the Columbo Peugeot 403 for example, something you won't find on German cars.

Great info. What issue could I run into using a Town Panel sparingly, maybe 4,000 miles a year. I presume the engine transmission wouldn't be much of an issue with the 318 4-speed set up in this van. Suspension wise can these vans run at todays highway speeds.

This thread is getting me in deeper and deeper trouble.

Buy it first, you can decide on the precise terms of usage later.

Great info. What issue could I run into using a Town Panel sparingly, maybe 4,000 miles a year. I presume the engine transmission wouldn't be much of an issue with the 318 4-speed set up in this van. Suspension wise can these vans run at todays highway speeds. QUOTE]
The 318 poly engine is a sweetheart. And the two wheel drive trucks are really pretty comfortable to drive/ride in. (Need good mirrors though).
I bought a running, rust free 65 town wagon for the body, (for my W100 restro), and drove it from Spokane Wash to Iowa ..... and then from Iowa to North Carolina.

Before I restored the Power Wagon I drove it from Colorado to Michigan ...... At 55/60 it just hit the high spots in the road. Not a great highway vehicle.

The 318 poly engine is a sweetheart. And the two wheel drive trucks are really pretty comfortable to drive/ride in. (Need good mirrors though).
I bought a running, rust free 65 town wagon for the body, (for my W100 restro), and drove it from Spokane Wash to Iowa ..... and then from Iowa to North Carolina.

Before I restored the Power Wagon I drove it from Colorado to Michigan ...... At 55/60 it just hit the high spots in the road. Not a great highway vehicle.

Will thanks for all the great info. I will probably give this guy a call and see exactly what he has done to the van. You have and have had some great vehicles over the years. Looking forward to meeting you in person sometime.

Wow those are some great vehicles!! I'd jump on that truck in a heart beat...as stated...you couldn't build ot for that price.

But I'd have to drop a small 4BT cummins engine in that thing....;)

The guy gave me some more really small, avatar size pictures, but you can still see the quality of the build.

PT Back.jpgPT engine.jpgPT Dash.jpg

PT Back.jpg

PT engine.jpg

PT Dash.jpg

Wow he did a heck of a job....done out of love...not profit.

If you really wanted one of these...THIS is the one!!

You need to grab it because if you don't I guaranty you'll see in in Auto Trader next month by a classic car dealer for 30 grand.

Or next month being flipped at B-J after a mini-pimp job.
Dealers are turning over rocks right now scrounging for flipper inventory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back