1967 Crown Coupe purchased at estate sale

Idaho Bob

Reaction score
I was up in Challis with family and friends about a month ago. I'm not much for yard sales and estate sales, but wife and friends wanted to stop, so I did. They bought some knickknacks, and I ended up with a 1967 Crown Coupe. The story, as told by the grandson of the owner, is that the local banker bought this for his wife in 1967 from a dealer in Stanley, ID. A few years later, the banker traded it in. The second owner (grandpa) ran down to buy it as fast as he could. He drove it through the seventies, and parked it in the barn sometime around 1980. The car had 1980 'Famous Potato' plates on. It looked to be in great shape, and most everything worked. I negotiated for a week before I bought it. By that time (according to the grandson) a flock of kids had passed through and broke a few things (window motors, radio door).

So far I've been catching up on 43 years of deferred maintenance; brakes all around, master cylinder, oil, lightbulbs, tires, etc. The thermostat was completely plugged, so flushed the cooling system (working on flush #2 now). Engine needs a little ether when cold, but starts well when warm; looks like the choke is working though.

I've attached a few photos, and would appreciate your honest assessment. Looks to me like it rides a little low in the rear. Also some advice on how to deal with the rock chips in the paint. I haven't washed it yet, or cleaned the engine bay, so what you're seeing is what I bought. I do have all 4 hubcaps, just haven't reinstalled them after the brake job.

Front side.jpg

Left Rear.jpg

Left side.jpg

Right Rear.jpg

RIght side.jpg

Can you confirm that a dealership existed in Stanley? A town that has 54 wintertime residents. Hard to believe Challis may have had one. Salmon or Mackay maybe.

Here are a few more photographs of a paint chip (one of about 30?), the engine bay, and the interior.

The seats need some cleaning and upholstery work.

The front air seems to work, although I suspect the dryer is partially plugged. The rear air doesn't seem to work.
None of the lights tied to the door switch work.
The dash lights do work.
The turn signals, brake lights, headlights, and running lights all work, the turn signal auto cancel does not work.
All the windows are stuck (except the front vent windows).
The power seats work (at least up and back)
Lighters don't work.
Haven't tried the autopilot, but the green on indicator comes on.
Trunk lid seems to have been tweaked a little.
Driver door needs a little adjustment.

The undercarriage is covered with a layer of brown Idaho dirt, which makes it hard to do a good inspection for rust, but no rust through on body panels or trunk floor.

Chip in paint.jpg

Engine bay.jpg

Interior front.jpg

interior rear.jpg

Vinyl top.jpg

Almost forgot...here is the fender tag. I would appreciate it if one of you fine folks would help me decode this.

Fender tag.jpg

My apologies for another post.

Forgot to mention that I have the fender skirts, just haven't washed and reinstalled them after replacing the tires and brakes.

Odometer reads 33 K, I'm pretty sure it's rolled over once.

I've only put about 30 miles on it. It sure gets a lot of attention. A young feller in a pickup wanted to engage me in a stoplight drag race this morning!

Nice unmolested car, at least the derby idiots/B-body crowd didn't get their hands on it. Bought it to keep or flip?,

Polara71,

I am indeed full of crap. I was going from my (apparently feeble) memory of the long talk I had with the grandson. I quick trip to the glovebox shows that the car was purchased in Lewiston.

service record.jpg

Warranty card 1.jpg

Imperial Certicard.jpg

Keep and drive. Would like to keep it as original as possible. Any advice on the rock chips in the paint.

Digging deeper in the glovebox, there is an Idaho Sales Tax Vehicle Certificate from September 12, 1974 showing that the vehicle was purchased by the second owner (Bert Mecham) for $500. The good old days...

Nice score! Looks like a nice, "high and dry" example, lucky you!. Haven't seen gold (at least, I THINK it's gold from the photos) w/green interior (just look at that green translucent wheel) in many years, an attractive, truly 1960's color combination.

Give that green leather a good soaking with Leatherique, or Lexol, which is easier to get. Then, give all that walnut on the dash/doors, a good oiling with lemon oil, or something similar. the same stuff you use on walnut furniture is good for that. THEN you can truly see/appreciate what is an Imperial's better (if not the best, IMHO) feature, their interiors....

I'd say in general, get it into reliable driving condition, and let the rest follow as you go. This website will be a big help to you: www.imperialclub.com, especially with power options, etc.

Power window mechanisms often just need dis-assembly/cleaning-lube/re-assembly..... send your switches to devinism on this group, he's the "respected expert" on re-building them.

The rear end looks to be a LITTLE low, but that's common with these over time, replacing the rear leaf springs on mine brought it back up, and helped with handling.

Congrats on your estate sale find! Be glad you were able to get such a nice example without having to go through one of those 3rd party re-sellers....... ENJOY, and welcome to the list.

Congrats on your score. Very cool car and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Nice car, great find. Colors are good on it.

car had 440 350 horse
automatic Trans
2.94 open rear axle
9-6-1966 scheduled production date.
sold in December of 1967

so it could have been on the lot that long or the certicard and owners manual is not showing the original owner.

Did your wife kid you about YOUR piece of "big brickabat" that wouldn't go in the trunk of what y'all were driving?

Great score! It'll be beautiful when finished!

Congrats!
CBODY67

If it had been sold new in Orofino I would have the paperwork for that car, bummer. I have all of their old dealer records.

Nice car, great find. Colors are good on it.

car had 440 350 horse
automatic Trans
2.94 open rear axle
9-6-1966 scheduled production date.
sold in December of 1967

so it could have been on the lot that long or the certicard and owners manual is not showing the original owner.
Mr Frey of Frey Chrysler Plymouth (in the town where I grew up)
used to get his wife a new Imperial every year (as a demonstrator),
usually a convertible, then would sell it as a new car the next model year. That could explain the late date on the Certicard.

Nice score! Looks like a nice, "high and dry" example, lucky you!. Haven't seen gold (at least, I THINK it's gold from the photos) w/green interior (just look at that green translucent wheel) in many years, an attractive, truly 1960's color combination.

Give that green leather a good soaking with Leatherique, or Lexol, which is easier to get. Then, give all that walnut on the dash/doors, a good oiling with lemon oil, or something similar. the same stuff you use on walnut furniture is good for that. THEN you can truly see/appreciate what is an Imperial's better (if not the best, IMHO) feature, their interiors....

I'd say in general, get it into reliable driving condition, and let the rest follow as you go. This website will be a big help to you: www.imperialclub.com, especially with power options, etc.

Power window mechanisms often just need dis-assembly/cleaning-lube/re-assembly..... send your switches to devinism on this group, he's the "respected expert" on re-building them.

The rear end looks to be a LITTLE low, but that's common with these over time, replacing the rear leaf springs on mine brought it back up, and helped with handling.

Congrats on your estate sale find! Be glad you were able to get such a nice example without having to go through one of those 3rd party re-sellers....... ENJOY, and welcome to the list.

Thanks for the advice. I am happy with the car; it has exceeded my expectations. The more I drive it, the less it leaks.

Some of the walnut grain on the doors is raised, like it's been wet. It looks pretty thin, but I'll attempt a light sanding. Is ordinary Old English lemon oil OK? I used to own a cedar house, and that's what we used to spruce up the interior walls.

Small Dog likes the windows down when we drive, so that work is coming up shortly.

Mr Frey of Frey Chrysler Plymouth (in the town where I grew up)
used to get his wife a new Imperial every year (as a demonstrator),
usually a convertible, then would sell it as a new car the next model year. That could explain the late date on the Certicard.
Thank you for that insight; quite possible.

Back