1967 Crown Coupe purchased at estate sale

I was watching a video on yt the other day, there's this collector who owns a few Imperials and a few other cars, one of which is a '57 300C, in the video he comments on how he uses ivory soap to clean/condition the leather seats in the 300, anyone know if that really works?
The leather on my coupe is very stiff, so I tried the Ivory soap treatment today to see if it would soften up. Following the description in the video, I wiped the leather on one section of the driver seat with a damp cloth, then scrubbed it with a bar of Ivory soap that had been immersed in water.

I let the leather sit for about 10 minutes, until it started to dry, then worked the soap into the leather with my fingers and a few more drops of water. I wiped the soap off with a damp cloth after another 10 minutes. The leather wasn’t noticeably softer, so I repeated.

After the fourth application of Ivory, the leather wasn’t anywhere close to being ‘supple’. There was a barely perceptible difference when I pressed in my fingernail into treated and adjacent untreated leather.

The leather did look a lot less dingy afterwards, so there’s that.

The leather on my coupe is very stiff, so I tried the Ivory soap treatment today to see if it would soften up. Following the description in the video, I wiped the leather on one section of the driver seat with a damp cloth, then scrubbed it with a bar of Ivory soap that had been immersed in water.

I let the leather sit for about 10 minutes, until it started to dry, then worked the soap into the leather with my fingers and a few more drops of water. I wiped the soap off with a damp cloth after another 10 minutes. The leather wasn’t noticeably softer, so I repeated.

After the fourth application of Ivory, the leather wasn’t anywhere close to being ‘supple’. There was a barely perceptible difference when I pressed in my fingernail into treated and adjacent untreated leather.

I don’t think I would even attempt that with so many good products that have been proven to work consistently. Get some Lexol conditioner, apply it liberally and stick it outside on a warm sunny day with the windows up.

I have tried many products including Lexol , Adams Polishes leather treatment etc … this is the best I have found . Was recommended by the manager of a Hap Tallmans saddle and western store . I used it on a 1989 BMW 325i E30. Convertible thats leather was rock hard . I applied liberally with my hands . Literally poured it on and left it overnight with the top up . Next day it had drank it in so I applied another coating . I repeated until the leather was soft . Covering with plastic may work even better .
Your leather is probably Vat dyed like the BMW so it should penetrate well . I used it in my 75 Imperial as well with success although I believe by 75 Mopar was using surface dyed leather which doesnt absorbe it as well .
IMG_9538.jpeg

Buy 2 from Amazon . Not sure where you can get it locally now.

BTW, no way I would use any type of soap that could dissolve the remaining natural oils .
And the Bicks will leave your hands feeling great !

Ok, thanks for being the guinea pig, didn't think a collector of such nice and valuable cars would use anything detrimental to the upholstery, but there you go, don't know unless you try it.

Ok, thanks for being the guinea pig, didn't think a collector of such nice and valuable cars would use anything detrimental to the upholstery, but there you go, don't know unless you try it.
I doubt if it did any harm; Ivory soap is pretty mild. Just didn’t do any good!

I’ve worked the last 35 years as a research engineer, so ‘trying stuff’ is what I do.

I doubt if it did any harm; Ivory soap is pretty mild. Just didn’t do any good!

I’ve worked the last 35 years as a research engineer, so ‘trying stuff’ is what I do.
Maybe it works on leather that is not stiff, I'll have to try it out and see.

Creamy (non-pumice) GoJo is also a good cleaner, it has lanolin in it.
A buddy discovered that years ago, couldn't get his white vinyl seats clean, then a tub of GoJo leaked and left a clean spot.

I've tried several products on a set of old leather seats with zero luck in softening.
IMO when leather gets hard, a miracle is being requested.
Maybe I'll give Bick's a try.

Haven’t had much quality time with the Imperial lately. I’ve been focused on finishing a (personal) construction project before the snow flies in the high country (soon). Unfortunately, the project doesn’t include additional garage space.

I have tried the Bick 4, starting with a small section of leather. The first application took a full day to soak in. It’s been cool here, so not surprising. The second application was absorbed in about a half day, the third even faster. After the 4th coat soaked in, the leather was noticeably softer. I’ve now applied the Bick 4 to the rest of the leather, and will keep working it in until I don’t see any further improvement.

I have a rebuilt set of Budd calipers (calipersonline.com) and new Timken front bearings and seals ready to go on next. I was pleasantly surprised that the old wheel bearings were still in good shape.

Ivory really drys skin, so leather will be dry. Leno has had good reviews on his leather products. Available at Walmart. I never sure what the leather is in my 73 Imperial, when does the colour coats stop moisturizer from getting the the leather?

Based on Mbaird’s advice, I’ve been working Bick4 into the leather. I’ve used 2 bottles so far. Most of the leather has softened up. The front driver’s seat is still stiff, but it keeps soaking up the Bick4, so I’ll keep applying it. I’ve ordered a third bottle.

BTW, I got a quote for $712 to replace the cloth inserts and the seat cushions and restitch the front seats. Does that sound reasonable?

Based on Mbaird’s advice, I’ve been working Bick4 into the leather. I’ve used 2 bottles so far. Most of the leather has softened up. The front driver’s seat is still stiff, but it keeps soaking up the Bick4, so I’ll keep applying it. I’ve ordered a third bottle.

BTW, I got a quote for $712 to replace the cloth inserts and the seat cushions and restitch the front seats. Does that sound reasonable?

"BTW, I got a quote for $712 to replace the cloth inserts and the seat cushions and restitch the front seats. Does that sound reasonable?"

Yes! If the work is competently done.

100% pure lanolin is available everywhere. Why aren't y'all using that instead of the high priced leather "rejuvinators"?

A quick update. I’ve retired and unretired (to help a friend start a new business) in the past half year. I’ve been able to spend a few hours a week on the Imperial, mostly catching up on 40+ years of deferred maintenance.

I’ve put about 300 miles on the car, and used it as a daily driver this fall when the weather cooperated.

Fluids, filters, belts, hoses, valve cover gaskets, etc. All fluids were pretty clean (except the coolant) and there was nothing of note in the filters.

The antifreeze looked to be a mixture of old and new, and was pretty ‘chunky’. It took two flushes to get that cleaned up. Once the cooling system was free from gunk, the water pump started leaking, so was replaced. I see that the original water pumps are rebuildable; are parts available?

Almost all the interior bulbs were burned out; the good news is that the door switches (and wiring) work. Installed Pertronix ignition, new plugs, and wires. Also put in the ammeter bypass.

Next on the list are headlight relays, making the windshield wipers operational, and then the power windows (1/6 currently operational). I seem to have vacuum leak somewhere as well.

I’m grateful to the friendly folks on this forum for all the knowledge and other good stuff posted here.

Thinking about a trip to Carlisle in July (not driving the Imperial). Sounds like fun!

Bob

Sounds like your making good progress.
What city are you in ?

Back