1970 Fury I stripper!

I have to say, smooth is the word that best describes this car. It’s so quiet and it just floats down the road. Has the smell and feel of an original.
The brakes need to settle in and be re-adjusted and I need to get used to the clutch. Other than that I’m very happy with how it performs.

Last edited:
That is AWESOME, Shed Man! Love your videos by the way. I'm a little partial to slants, so just listening to the sound of the slant does my heart good. For the record, aside from the fury, we have a slant six three on the tree Dart, so I fully respect your feelings on the slant. Keep up the great work!

I drove the car about 30 miles yesterday and it did great. But, it seems I’m not finished just yet.
The engine is so quiet that the only thing you hear is the rear end. The left axle bearing sounds off when making a right turn. Also, there’s an occasional hum/whine coming from back there somewhere I think. I had planned on putting a sure grip in but , I’ve got enough money in this already.
I have had it up to 85mph and it pulled itself up there decently for what it is!

Love the sound of that /6 backing out of the shop, I can hear the lifters quietly tapping away. Inside the car, I can't get over how quiet it seems....

Love the sound of that /6 backing out of the shop, I can hear the lifters quietly tapping away. Inside the car, I can't get over how quiet it seems....
I can’t either. Everyone who has heard the engine can’t believe how quiet it is. I actually checked the valve lash again because I thought it was too tight. But it’s .010 and 020 hot.
Its so quiet you can hear every little noise coming from the rear end. Kinda odd, really. It’s does have one of these babies on it though…

8ACC65ED-BF19-4719-AE4A-0DE692B7C265.jpeg

From the upcoming video. Car has a little get up and go to it. I’m not too happy with the front brake shoes I put on it. They looked cheap, the rear I got from another source and they’re good. I’ve got to re-visit the front brakes and service the axle bearings before I can finish the video..,

0A40B4FB-8A2F-49D8-9675-89959D8BD09E.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow I love this! So cool that it's left as a Plain Jane stripper with the original drivetrain and not some common -as-dirt 440 clone. Bet this will get more attention on the street and shows than any S23 or GT coupe, fake cop car, or '70 convert (I had one) would ... way to go! Sweeet!

Wow I love this! So cool that it's left as a Plain Jane stripper with the original drivetrain and not some common -as-dirt 440 clone. Bet this will get more attention on the street and shows than any S23 or GT coupe, fake cop car, or '70 convert (I had one) would ... way to go! Sweeet!
Thank you! When I first saw this car I thought it was probably a big block, or at least a small block auto …I was interested. When I saw what it really was, I was hooked!
I contacted the guy and told him I’d buy it no questions asked immediately and was waiting for him when he got home the next day.
I love an original, unmolested, honest car. Other than the block this has most of its original equipment, down to the starter, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, I’ve kept it original as I could besides a few little upgrades like electronic ignition, aluminum radiator (which I painted black) stock size tires on factory wheels, ect. I like to experience these cars in their original form, not some modernized mess!!
But that’s just me.

Slight pause in fun having to replace the axle bearings…I split the old stuff to remove them.
Then I bolted the axle to the wheel, put an ice pack on it and heated the bearing in the oven. The right size aluminum pipe and some love taps drove them home.

1EDAF01B-0E98-4EF4-AC89-9910381960D1.jpeg

30393FE6-7664-40CE-8237-66933164B845.jpeg

FF9D71AC-420F-4C37-A29B-185AB45A8023.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool video!

I followed Mickeys story right from the beginning (26 pages!) and I'm very impressed about your passion, endurance and elbow grease to bring Mickey back on the road!
Despite the setbacks with the engine, everything turned out well in the end and I wish you a lot of fun with this wonderful car...

:thumbsup:

Very cool video!

I followed Mickeys story right from the beginning (26 pages!) and I'm very impressed about your passion, endurance and elbow grease to bring Mickey back on the road!
Despite the setbacks with the engine, everything turned out well in the end and I wish you a lot of fun with this wonderful car...

:thumbsup:
Thanks you!! After installing the axle bearings, i have to say again, this thing is very quiet and smooth. It’s a well balanced engine for sure!

Yes, very quiet and smooth, I can confirm that. My '71 Sport Fury 383 2bbl (probably) still has the original muffler underneath. A very nice unobtrusive sound with the original or date correct mufflers.
On the other hand, my '65 Chrysler 300L 413 4bbl has two Flowmaster Super 44 underneath. Much louder, rougher and with interior boom at speed of 30mph to 50mph.
Both have their charm, I can choose the vehicle depending on my "state of mind" ;)

Back