1970 Fury I stripper!

I believe the customary "You suck" is in order

927BE981-F0AB-48DF-99AF-4AEAAB0843E3.gif

Automatics are for girls. Just sayin.

I've only ever driven manuals but nothing that big. I'm jealous.

I remember asking the car guy on my school bus in high school (late 70's) whether any full size cars ever came with manuals and he laughed and made fun of me.

I've only ever driven manuals but nothing that big. I'm jealous.

I remember asking the car guy on my school bus in high school (late 70's) whether any full size cars ever came with manuals and he laughed and made fun of me.
I’ve had a few three on the tree cars and trucks, ok.,, a bunch of them. I still push the clutch in on automatics and reach for the shifter forgetting they’re not there.

Just binged my way through your build thread...absolutely love Mickey!! Congrats on getting it back on the road and as others have stated I would be one of those guys who would be all over this car at a show compared to the "dime a dozen" Hemi, 440/6bbl, clone cars. ;)

Just binged my way through your build thread...absolutely love Mickey!! Congrats on getting it back on the road and as others have stated I would be one of those guys who would be all over this car at a show compared to the "dime a dozen" Hemi, 440/6bbl, clone cars. ;)
Thank you! I like unexpected cars that are equipped with minimal stuff. “Everything works” is easy to say when there isn’t any extras!

I just can’t justify the cost of one at this point. I’d have to do excavation, pour concrete, ect. It would have to be in a building and that’s another expensive proposition!
My garage is 18x25 with a 10’ ceiling. I wouldn’t want one too much bigger to work in for the simple fact of how easily mine is to heat and cool. I can quickly get it to a nice temperature summer or winter and that means a lot to me.
Like my old friend Moose used to say about home improvement ideas his wife came up with, “let the next guy do it, he’s got more time to fool with that **** than I do!”
It's a big yes on the size for climate control.
And I use a pair of air powered end lifts with tall jack stands. About 3 feet of clear space under the cars. It works good with an inclined creeper.
I highly recommend it.

If I were a budget minded new car buyer back in 1970 I think I would have chosen an A body slant 6 equipped with auto transmission and power steering. Probably would have been a cheaper initial cost and comparable mpg. That’s just me though. I guess American car buyers hadn’t quite warmed up to smaller cars by 1970. A few embargo’s and a crisis or two later changed our priorities years later.
Also, in 1970 it hadn’t been so long ago that a 230 flat head 6 was in cars almost as big as this. So, to many this was more normal than a 440 which might have been considered excessive by some. Just rambling….

View attachment 577274
I had one of those 4 door 1968 225/auto/ac/ps/pd Darts in 1976. Plenty of power. Got 18 and 24. Good car it was. And it did like radial tires.

I had one of those 4 door 1968 225/auto/ac/ps/pd Darts in 1976. Plenty of power. Got 18 and 24. Good car it was. And it did like radial tires.
I’m eager to see what kind of mileage this car gets. I suspect around 20 maybe.

Slapped these stickers on a cheap-*** Rural King battery. It doesn’t take much to start this thing!

53FC6321-3BA4-4559-A58C-20D2F32973D2.jpeg

I’m eager to see what kind of mileage this car gets. I suspect around 20 maybe.
I think so.
I see it's been quite the journey with that car. But a noble steed indeed. I don't see how it could have been done much different and achieved the objective.
I've driven 69 a Dodge Polara with the 225 3 speed clutch and add on ac. It was purchased in 81 as a backup car for my 23-year-old divorced sister with three little kids. She liked it enough that it got used more than intended.
So out came the 3 box and in went the 4 on the floor. That's what made the car for her use.
She ran it for 8 years.
Congratulations on a worthy and well executed plan.

After 200 miles I checked my mileage. 17 mpg. About half of that was driving normal on country roads and the other half was driving pretty aggressively. Running through peoples back yard, knockin down mailboxes.. had some broad in the car…wait… that was another guy! Trying to keep up with my sons V6 Challenger while filming on the highway didn’t help. It’ll get better after it breaks in.
Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr Pepper!

That's got sleeper written all over it!
It’s a reverse sleeper! Everyone thinks it’s a 440 cop car, when actually it’s a 225 taxi.
I don’t need a race car, just something quiet to get to the bootleggers house and back. Maybe stop by the country store for beans and night crawlers.
When we were making the video my sons were filming from a V6 Challenger. I told them to get me behind them and then I would pass them.. I forgot to add that he’d have to let off his to allow me to pass. So I had to hammer down!

Last edited:
Back