For Sale 1971 Imperial LeBaron - WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerr

Reaction score
Contact seller
I just went and looked at this one. The son is selling it, it's at his dad's house which is being sold and closes in 2 weeks - so the car needs to be gone then. The son, Conrad, didn't seem to know much about cars but did say he grew up in it. Said his dad drove it in and parked it one day with intent to have some work done on it eventually but never did. In okay shape for sitting except there had been a rodent in the glovebox at some point.

I stopped at the licensing office and it sounds like a mess to get a title. The dad checked a while back with the dept. of licensing but the car has been off the road so long the VIN is out of their system. The dad would need to apply at the DOL for a new title and the car would need to be inspected by state troopers. All that soured me on the deal.

Conrad said he had a $300 offer on it, what I was going to offer if it could eventually be titled a bit easier. I asked him if I could take a few pics and post them to help with interest in the car and he agreed.

Stopped running in1984 and has been garaged ever since. Papers and keys have been lost through time.

Chrysler Imperial Lebaron 1971

Pics from the ad:
00v0v_jJczflzY9x3_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_3MdwFrZoAJH_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_1T5cn9hYHpI_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_nlgDwOFbYZ_1200x900.jpg

00J0J_kkpE9neOAMt_1200x900.jpg

And my pics I took this morning:

LINK

2016-09-17%2010.08.19.jpg

E85 440-4 Barrel
D32 H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998YM43
Y = Imperial / LeBaron
M = Medium
43 = 4 Door Hardtop
T1C
T = Unknown
1 = 1971
C = Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA
134554 Sequence Number '134554'
GB2 Paint Code: Light Blue Metallic
MLX9
Trim Grade/Style/Color
M = Medium
L = Leather 50/50 Split Bench Seat
X9 = Black
TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet
A08 Date Built: 10 / 08 / 1970
R65968 Order Number: R65968
V1X Roof Type OR Color: Full Vinyl Top - Black
H53 Single Air / Temperature / AC
R36 AM / FM Radio Sterio w/ Cassette
L31 Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
L35 Corning Lamps
M45 Fender Skirts
P31 Power Windows
P41 Power Door Locks
S61 Tilt Telescopic Steering Wheel
B41 Front Disc Brakes Some Yrs. Power
G11 Tinted Glass All
V5X Black - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side
P45 Power Deck Lid Release
R32 Dual Rear Speakers

It needs to be saved and I'd say very worth the hassle.

No passenger side mirror...weird on an Imperial. I've never done the "lost title" thing...is it costly or just administrative grief? Looks like someone stole the cassette from the trans hump too.

If his father is alive and well, that really doesn't sound like that much trouble to get the proper paperwork. If it's like NYS, the trooper inspection is just going to be a simple VIN check at the various spots and a stolen vehicle check.

It wouldn't surprise me if they found the paperwork and keys when they finish moving him out.

$300 is pretty much scrap price around here...

It's a deal where the car really needs to be sold, and then hope that the dad stays involved on the paperwork end. Then after a few weeks take it to the troopers and have them inspect it. But potentially not running means I'd pay more for tows, or trailer/truck rental than the car itself. Could be worth it for someone however.

Needs tires, keys, cleaning of fuel system, brakes - at a minimum. It's approaching running/driving/titled car threshold real fast.

Not my dream car, but I was willing to have a fling with it before I talked to the DOL.

If it was a two door, people would be a whole lot less concerned about getting the paperwork straightened out.

What a impressive car. Too bad you don't have space to keep it. It would be nice to tuck away in a corner and pick at it. I really love the styling of these...if if you gave them $500 I think that would be a great deal.

Hard to believe you could pick up something that cool for less than a $1000.

Dave

If it was local i would have forked out real fast, but the other side of the country? Sniff, why cant I find deals like this around here????

If it was local i would have forked out real fast, but the other side of the country? Sniff, why cant I find deals like this around here????
You can, but they are always for a Yugo or something else you really just don't want.

Sadly I think this is going to be derbied locally. I'd be more of a player if they had keys. Title doesn't mean much to me unless it was bought brand new by the dad and then I'd want the original title for display.

I hope someone buys this for more than the motor or to derby. The keys seem like just a short term issue, and under $100.

I still have thought about it, but if the dad didn't help on the paperwork then there is a provisional title that can be issued. And provisional titles are not formalized until 3 years out so I'd be on the hook until then to be able to sell it. I didn't have any plan to flip it, but if something else came along or a better version then I'd be stuck with this until the 3 years ran out.

The other issue for me is garage space, this car would fill it! So, it'd be tough to work on my other cars or home projects.

Since I'm so local to this car, about 3 miles south of where it is located at, I'll throw out an offer for veteran FCBO members. If you want to buy this car but need a staging area for, say, up to 30 days, it could be moved to my garage until you can pick it up. Airport Towing was $95 hookup for off-peak hours and $6/mile plus tax. The only thing I want in return is your word that you are not going to flip it or just pull the engine. PM me if interested.

Edit: Regarding my comment about flipping - if you were to get the car back on the road as a titled vehicle that was a mechanically sound driver and then were to sell it then have at it. My offer is about facilitating saving this car as a car, adding value to it. Not a motor source to turn a Satellite in to a Road Runner; and not to part it and scrap.

Last edited:
Here's a chance for someone to step up and give this beauty a second chance, especially with the generous logistical offer above from 'Homerr'.
We don't need another thread about derby scum plucking the goodness from another one of our fine automobiles...

Get a bill of sale and offer $500 conditional on the old man walking into the DMV/DOL with you. Old people lose titles all the time. Whomever you talked to was just lazy and didn't want to be bothered.

Straighten the title out and transfer. Get it towed to your house the same as you'd do for a member. Take good photos and sell it on eBay. Somebody from another country will 5x your investment, especially with it already being on a coast.

Save a C-body, Make money. Win-Win.

Carmine, in WA the old man needs to apply for the title, take the car to the state patrol to be inspected, take their report back to DOL. Then wait a couple weeks to get the title, and then sign it over. Meanwhile his house is closing, where the car is located, at the end of next week. So the car will probably have to be dragged around town a couple of times. If I had a trailer and a truck with better hauling capacity I might consider it, but I don't.

I think that states that just want a bill of sale will be the best/easiest way to get this car back on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back