For Sale 1978 Dodge Magnum SE - $1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, there are people in Sacramento who would love it if my Newport were crushed - all in the name of clean air. That's ludicrous and ignorant.
Those uninformed/underinformed people are some of the most die hard at accomplishing their goals, no matter how ludicrous it may be. I've always said my old car pollutes nowhere near what my daily driver does, or could over my lifetime, because it's driven so little. But because it's old, it has a target on it. We have no emission laws in MN anymore (the program generated 64 million a year, with 56 million a year going to a California company, that makes sense) thanks to Jesse Ventura. He was eccentric, but used common sense when dealing with a lot of things when governor.

That system made no sense 30 years ago, I'm sure it is no better today. My 70 Ford truck passed the tailpipe test but failed visual because I had a factory 1964 intake and 4 barrel carb on it instead of 2 bbl. I took it to a different shop and they let it go because it was all factory looking, air cleaner etc. My warm personality must have rubbed the first shop the wrong way lol. Was glad to get out of there before next smog check.

A 2016 engine is literally an air purifier. Air comes out cleaner than when it went in. But you can't drop one in a 1976 car? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

A 2016 engine is literally an air purifier. Air comes out cleaner than when it went in. But you can't drop one in a 1976 car? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
Actually, you can, if it's the same motor/black that was in the car in the first place. This is a part of the "upgrade" rule in California. So, the 400 in that '76 New Yorker thread could be replaced with a brand new 400 of 2016. However, do you see the problem? They aren't made anymore.

That was the problem wish the 2.6 Mitsu motor; you could install a newer one with better pollution controls, but they weren't made. I would love to drop in a later 318/5.2 Magnum motor into my Dakota, because I dislike the lack of power and bad MPG of the 3.9. But I can't; I could only swap in another 3.9 because that is what is indicated by the VIN. It's a Catch-22 pile of crap!

If California ever rolls its smog laws back to 1966 where they originally were - and there have been many attempts to do so - neither my Newport or the Grem would pass. Why? Because the Newport is a 383 car with a 440 in it, and the Grem is a 258 6-banger with a 401 in it - FAIL!! That doesn't even address the fact that outside of PCV all controls have been removed from both vehicles. Gag me!

Do they actually ID an engine when you get a smog check from the $9@hr emission expert? I would think a well tuned 440 emissions will be pretty close to 383 pass/fail emission standards.

Yes, they do and will ID a motor. Some of these people are actually quite good at what they do. Again though, the emissions levels are irrelevant if a car will not pass the visual test. My '79 Cordoba once failed becasue the exhaust manifold pre-heater tube to the air cleaner had a hole in it. That really pissed me off!

So, I can't even put a 2016 GM LSx in a 76 Corvette, then. WTF. :realcrazy:

This is not something I would wish to attempt but I feel you could. The kicker is it will have to pass the later year standard 100% full under-hood inspection etc.

Alan

The real question is wtf does the visual reference, and if it has no IM check engine codes it is performing properly. I bet you can have the second without the first being Ca. compliant. Why is this a problem if car is blowing clean?

The real question is wtf does the visual reference, and if it has no IM check engine codes it is performing properly. I bet you can have the second without the first being Ca. compliant. Why is this a problem if car is blowing clean?

As stated before, I did my last PA emissions inspection in 1995, but I do try to keep up with what is going on. From all I have heard, the emissions police will spot check testing facilities and make sure the procedures are followed. Fines, suspensions and even felony charges are possible for the shop/tech if caught doing anything sneaky... way different from the days we used to just stick the probe in the tailpipe of the car in the next bay.

A year or so after I moved to FL I stopped by my former employer in PA on vacation. I was checking out the new machine and talking to the guys. Apparently the state boys were already investigating and suspending alot of shops from the program. To clear the machine between tests air is flushed through it, Its compressed air in a cylinder and lasts so many test cycles and a new "certified air" cylinder must be purchased at some ridiculous fee. State boys would track receipts of certified air X how many test performed.... I heard many shops got caught that way, because they were refilling the cylinder off the shop compressor.

The Maryland emission test is a joke. They visually don't check anything except the VIN number. They never ever open the hood. They just run a mirror around the first 6 inches under the car. The last time I went....I watched the 3 cars in front of me and the guy wasn't even looking down at the mirror when he checking the under car. I took my truck to get tested 3 days before my Flowmaster catback system came in and it was missing the tailpipe from the muffler back. Nope, they didn't even catch that and I passed the E-Test!

To clear the machine between tests air is flushed through it, Its compressed air in a cylinder and lasts so many test cycles and a new "certified air" cylinder must be purchased at some ridiculous fee. State boys would track receipts of certified air X how many test performed....
You have to buy "certified" air... :BangHead: :realcrazy:

The Maryland emission test is a joke. They visually don't check anything except the VIN number. They never ever open the hood. They just run a mirror around the first 6 inches under the car. The last time I went....I watched the 3 cars in front of me and the guy wasn't even looking down at the mirror when he checking the under car. I took my truck to get tested 3 days before my Flowmaster catback system came in and it was missing the tailpipe from the muffler back. Nope, they didn't even catch that and I passed the E-Test!
Same thing happened when I had a 77 Jimmy, no exhaust with 2 cylinders making sludge on the passenger side, stuck the probe in the driver's side and passed the truck. A bunch of BS.

I did get some tuning advice once when a 78 Olds I had wouldn't pass. I was still new to cars and the tech told me to lean it out based on the results, and it worked. Still glad they are a thing of the past.

I totally support pollution controls on vehicles, but that support only includes requiring what was installed on the car new to remain intact. There is no way a vintage car can pass today's standards.

Here in Texas, vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from any smog checks, even OE.

State boys would track receipts of certified air X how many test performed.... I heard many shops got caught that way, because they were refilling the cylinder off the shop compressor.
:bs_flag: you were a nervous "Nellie" weren't you... Refilling a 1200psi air tank with a 175psi shop compressor? :rofl: whoever told you that must been busting your balls.

I don't know Chevy nomenclature, but if the engine you are referencing is a 350, yes you could. Provided, of course, the '76 'Vette also had a 350 in it. That would be a legal upgrade. What you couldn't do was drop that same motor in a '76 Nova that came from the factory with a 6-banger.

My good buddy, and ex-brother-in-law, owns a 2000 Camero, 350, 6-speed. I think it is the LS1. He wants to drop an LS3 into his car. I didn't think he could out found out I am wrong. One motor of a specific type for a newer motor of the same type - an upgrade. BUT!!! All of the emission controls of the newer motor must stay on; he can't use the stuff that is on his '00 car.

Make sense?

:bs_flag: you were a nervous "Nellie" weren't you... Refilling a 1200psi air tank with a 175psi shop compressor? :rofl: whoever told you that must been busting your balls.
IDK... could be, as I said I never got to play with the new equipment. What do they regulate the pressure down to? It wasn't to fill the tank... just clear the machine... That shop is long gone now, so I couldn't ask.

I totally support pollution controls on vehicles, but that support only includes requiring what was installed on the car new to remain intact. There is no way a vintage car can pass today's standards.

Here in Texas, vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from any smog checks, even OE.
Even when they test older vehicles, they are only required to meet their own model year standards.
I don't know Chevy nomenclature, but if the engine you are referencing is a 350, yes you could. Provided, of course, the '76 'Vette also had a 350 in it. That would be a legal upgrade. What you couldn't do was drop that same motor in a '76 Nova that came from the factory with a 6-banger.

My good buddy, and ex-brother-in-law, owns a 2000 Camero, 350, 6-speed. I think it is the LS1. He wants to drop an LS3 into his car. I didn't think he could out found out I am wrong. One motor of a specific type for a newer motor of the same type - an upgrade. BUT!!! All of the emission controls of the newer motor must stay on; he can't use the stuff that is on his '00 car.

Make sense?
Yes. It actually does make sense for them to require that. If you swapped the driveline and PCM and catalysts you would heve a system that would work together. Even without moving parts catalysts are designed to work with engine management systems. An older car with a belt driven smog pump needed the additional oxygen to keep the catalyst working. A slightly newer car without a smog pump would switch rich/lean and keep the catalyst it came with working. The cats would not interchange with these 2 cars at all.

Thanks, but I meant, "Does this make sense?" - to Stanley. Do you understand why some motors can be swapped and others can't? That was my question.

As stated before, I did my last PA emissions inspection in 1995, but I do try to keep up with what is going on. From all I have heard, the emissions police will spot check testing facilities and make sure the procedures are followed. Fines, suspensions and even felony charges are possible for the shop/tech if caught doing anything sneaky... way different from the days we used to just stick the probe in the tailpipe of the car in the next bay.

A year or so after I moved to FL I stopped by my former employer in PA on vacation. I was checking out the new machine and talking to the guys. Apparently the state boys were already investigating and suspending alot of shops from the program. To clear the machine between tests air is flushed through it, Its compressed air in a cylinder and lasts so many test cycles and a new "certified air" cylinder must be purchased at some ridiculous fee. State boys would track receipts of certified air X how many test performed.... I hof rd many shops got caught that way, because they were refilling the cylinder off the shop compressor.

You need to come back for a visit there is no sniffer test anymore 1996 up OBD2 is plug and play the emission machine just reads what your cars PCM/ECM is already keeping track of with the I/M monitors. If your check engine light is not on and you did not disconnect the battery recently you will pass, Pa. will even let you go through with one test incomplete. The 95 down cars are becoming a problem because nobody is fixing their sniffer machine once it quits, hopefully the state will put 95 and earlier on visual only within the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back