For Sale 1978 Dodge Magnum SE - $1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you couldn't do was drop that same motor in a '76 Nova that came from the factory with a 6-banger.

So if I want to put a 2014, 6.2 drive line in a 76 Camaro that had a stinky properly running 6cylinder, with all the 2014 emission controls and running with all the I/M monitors in spec/OK, Ca. will not let me drive it even though it has as Stan puts it a air purifier in it instead of a 33% efficient 250, 6 cyl. Wtf CARB will not be fooled into less pollution. Lol

You need to come back for a visit there is no sniffer test anymore 1996 up OBD2 is plug and play the emission machine just reads what your cars PCM/ECM is already keeping track of with the I/M monitors. If your check engine light is not on and you did not disconnect the battery recently you will pass, Pa. will even let you go through with one test incomplete. The 95 down cars are becoming a problem because nobody is fixing their sniffer machine once it quits, hopefully the state will put 95 and earlier on visual only within the next few years.
No emissions inspection at all up here in the Pennsylvania Wilds. Besides all my cars are registered antique don't even have to get safety inspection any more!:)

This is so effed up.
They legislate and legislate trying to remove every old car on the road trying to force people into buying a new car, which.... guess what.... manufacturing that new car leaves a bigger carbon footprint than letting that old car keep rolling along.

So if I want to put a 2014, 6.2 drive line in a 76 Camaro that had a stinky properly running 6cylinder, with all the 2014 emission controls and running with all the I/M monitors in spec/OK, Ca. will not let me drive it even though it has as Stan puts it a air purifier in it instead of a 33% efficient 250, 6 cyl. Wtf CARB will not be fooled into less pollution. Lol
That is correct. The car must be as the VIN indicates. Yes, it sucks.

You need to remember, this is from the State where some 8 years ago they debated whether or not to make the selling of black cars illegal. That's right! It was denied, but the argument was: Black absorbs heat (true), and since a black car will be hotter than any other car on a summer's day (more than likely), therefore, black cars will use more gasoline than other colors because they will use the AC more. (Conclusion is hogwash!)

I hope all of you can see the error in the conclusion. There are people here who want to see catalytic converters on lawn mower motors, and others who want even those little motors completely outlawed. After all, we SHOULD all be using electric mowers!!!!

Sheesh!

Lemme get this straight.
1976+ Must be factory.
75 down, you can do WhateverTF you want...
Yes?

Lemme get this straight.
1976+ Must be factory.
75 down, you can do WhateverTF you want...
Yes?
Yes and no, 75 and down if you are blowing out smoke and get stopped you will have to go to a smog station and pass which is a full under hood inspection ie factory stock.

Alan

Yes and no, 75 and down if you are blowing out smoke and get stopped you will have to go to a smog station and pass which is a full under hood inspection ie factory stock.

Alan

What about cars with out of state plates?

Like the Gestapo over there sheeez.... I guess there's two chances of me ever moving to CA.... Slim and none

No such thing, cars must be registered in California within 20 days of moving here or bringing the car in.

Alan

What about the military? They don't have to give up their home state residency while serving...even in California.

Military contractors and/or people working in California that maintain primary residence in another state.

What about the military? They don't have to give up their home state residency while serving...even in California.

Military contractors and/or people working in California that maintain primary residence in another state.
I live in a Air Force Base town and yes the military is exempt, so you might get away a little longer here.

Alan

I live in a Air Force Base town and yes the military is exempt, so you might get away a little longer here.

Alan

I had 30 days to change plates, registration, and driver;s license when I retired from the army in the People's Republic of Maryland.

I had 30 days to change plates, registration, and driver;s license when I retired from the army in the People's Republic of Maryland.
You would have 20 days here from the day you retired or left the military and established residency here.

Alan

Alan
Correct.

Often I will see people selling '75 and older cars with the comment: "Smog exempt." That is absolutely false. Cars from '66-'75 are exempt "from every two-year testing;" they are, as you said, expected to be smog correct.

I can't believe how many people here don't know this and do not realize the Law allows a CHP to pull a car over and order it to be inspected and tested. If it were to ever happen to me, I'd non-op my car and sell it. Neither my Newport or the Gremlin would be legal.

With the exception of serving military, if you are residing in this State for twenty days or longer (used to be 10), California Law says you must register your car here. That includes Students, people with other State residences, people here on short-term jobs, even people just visiting relatives!

My Brother-in-Law worked for the State Board of Equalization under Governor Deukmejian. Any time he saw a car with an out-of-state plate but another signifier that they lived here - USC sticker, UCLA, Dodgers, etc. - he recorded the plate number and reported it. Many people were visited by Law Enforcement personnel to ticket them for failure. It resulted in a HUGE fine in those days, upwards of $800.00.

A man in my church was ticketed for still having Oregon plates after starting work here two months earlier. His defense was that he still owned property in Oregon and his car was registered there. So, he was asked, "Where do you work?" When he told them he was given his ticket.

It is the Law here.

With the exception of serving military, if you are residing in this State for twenty days or longer (used to be 10), California Law says you must register your car here. That includes Students, people with other State residences, people here on short-term jobs, even people just visiting relatives!

My Brother-in-Law worked for the State Board of Equalization under Governor Deukmejian. Any time he saw a car with an out-of-state plate but another signifier that they lived here - USC sticker, UCLA, Dodgers, etc. - he recorded the plate number and reported it. Many people were visited by Law Enforcement personnel to ticket them for failure. It resulted in a HUGE fine in those days, upwards of $800.00.

A man in my church was ticketed for still having Oregon plates after starting work here two months earlier. His defense was that he still owned property in Oregon and his car was registered there. So, he was asked, "Where do you work?" When he told them he was given his ticket.

It is the Law here.

What about snowbirds spending the winter months in Indio, Palm Springs, etc? I don't think they all register in CA.

What about snowbirds spending the winter months in Indio, Palm Springs, etc? I don't think they all register in CA.
20 days is 20 days, the odds are you will not get caught unless you get a ticket for something else. Police are not likely to stop you just because they see an out of state plate unless they have reason to believe you have been here more than 20 days.

Alan

Probably none do, but that doesn't change what the Law is. If my relatives from North Carolina were to come out and visit me for three weeks, and they did so by car, they would be required to register their car here. Now, I'm not about to send them to the DMV to do it, but it is the Law. Stupid in such a case, but the Law nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back