68 frame change

monaco68

Reaction score
Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the welcome. As I stated before I have a 68 Monaco vert that has some serious rust issues with the rear frame. I knew this when I bought it so no surprises. I am finding out that c-body parts aren't quite available as I thought they would be. I have been lurking in the background watching some threads, ( not trying to sound creepy ), and I have seen so many offers of help and encouragement. I didn't want to post anything until I was ready to start into this project. I am not going for a full resto, my budget and time is at times limited. I will definitely welcome any advice any one is willing to give.
thanks

168.jpg

170.jpg

235.jpg

174.jpg

231.jpg

These don't show how much is gone. I took them and then did some work on the trunk. After I got through the 1/4" of tar and then the body filler under that it was late and I didn't have my phone. I'll take some better ones later

238.jpg

237.jpg

I went through this with my Fury. I made the frame rails out of 13 GA rectangular tube. Came out stronger than factory and looks just as well after undercarriage was covered with thick sound and rust protectant.
DSCN3612.JPG
DSCN3610.JPG

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the welcome. As I stated before I have a 68 Monaco vert that has some serious rust issues with the rear frame. I knew this when I bought it so no surprises. I am finding out that c-body parts aren't quite available as I thought they would be. I have been lurking in the background watching some threads, ( not trying to sound creepy ), and I have seen so many offers of help and encouragement. I didn't want to post anything until I was ready to start into this project. I am not going for a full resto, my budget and time is at times limited. I will definitely welcome any advice any one is willing to give.
thanks
I was wondering if someone could help me decode this fender tag. Some of the numbers make sense but others don't. Like the 41 5 53, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot

I was wondering if someone could help me decode this fender tag. Some of the numbers make sense but others don't. Like the 41 5 53, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot
Whole lot of fellas up here better at that than I. All I got is light green poly for color!

That's what I came up with, but the year doesn't make sense or where it was built. Going by the tag there isn't a lot of options. The only thing I can think of is if someone changed the inner fenders at some point. I need to check the vin # this evening.

I did a rear chassis rail replacement on my Sport Fury GT, Wollfen's 1971 Sport Fury GT !
The methodology to do it will be the same for both cars. It will give you an idea on what you can do.
Thanks for the link, that was some amazing work. beautiful car. Talk about a tough act to follow. It was good to see what you did and how, mine how ever are rotted right to the front where they stop at the body. Example: on the left side frame on the inside there is the bracket to hold the parking brake cables, I can push it right through the frame with one finger. I did buy a frame section from Mr fix it last summer but it only goes up to the shock crossmember, I needed more. So I contacted the guys at National Moparts and bought a complete frame section to go in.

I went through this with my Fury. I made the frame rails out of 13 GA rectangular tube. Came out stronger than factory and looks just as well after undercarriage was covered with thick sound and rust protectant.
View attachment 114887 View attachment 114888
Thanks for the pics, I thought about doing just that but some one did a patch job before me and there is basically nothing there to work with. I'll probably change the trunk as well, pretty bad.

There is a place in CT that reproduces c-body frame rails, but after I saw their prices I decided to use rectangular tube.

Thanks for the link, that was some amazing work. beautiful car. Talk about a tough act to follow. It was good to see what you did and how, mine how ever are rotted right to the front where they stop at the body. Example: on the left side frame on the inside there is the bracket to hold the parking brake cables, I can push it right through the frame with one finger. I did buy a frame section from Mr fix it last summer but it only goes up to the shock crossmember, I needed more. So I contacted the guys at National Moparts and bought a complete frame section to go in.
I know there was a guy on here that cut the entire floor pan, wheel arches and all from the rear footwells back and replaced it with a cutout out of a donor car. I cant remember which thread it was though. It looked like a big job but is probably just as easy to do as any other. If somebody could speak up and point in the right direction to the link?

There is a place in CT that reproduces c-body frame rails, but after I saw their prices I decided to use rectangular tube.
Hey man, do you have a name for this place? Not that I'm in the market but it'd be rad to know esp as I'm in CT.

Back