I smoke crack, Detroit, ($10,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! Thanks for the extra pics Gary, you saved me a trip.

Is it the VIN or a different number?
Prior to 1969 the cars had the shipping order number there along with some other digits.

Alan
I shouldnt say the full vin, the core support and drain rail has the digits after the XS29 in the vin. id have to check the gearbox to see if its the full vin.

No probs Matt, i was hoping the shell of the car would be SLIGHTLY better :p

My 68 has the vin as per bluefury quote, on the core support, left trunk drain rail and dash etc. none on the engine block but there is one on the transmission.

Usually nothing on the engine block mean its a warranty replacement block.

He says the car is 8000 now and there is no engine or gearbox.

I shouldnt say the full vin, the core support and drain rail has the digits after the XS29 in the vin. id have to check the gearbox to see if its the full vin.

Are you referring to the gear box as the transmission? And I'm assuming you mean 4 speed. I thought this car doesn't have one?

Does it have a Dana 60? Didn't all 440 4 speed GTX's come with a Dana 60?

Are you referring to the gear box as the transmission? And I'm assuming you mean 4 speed. I thought this car doesn't have one?

Does it have a Dana 60? Didn't all 440 4 speed GTX's come with a Dana 60?
Heh nope, i was discussing my own car earlier regarding the vin placement etc, my car is an auto.

I believe that it was late 68 that they started putting numbers on the block, i have seen this a lot.

My early 68 R/T with a 11 Sep 67 build date has matching motor and trans. The serial number is at the top rear of the engine and the top front of the trans case on them.

This GTX is still in right in the ballpark for $4-6K pretty easy if the body numbers, VIN, and finder tags jive (if fender tag is there) .. a build sheet would be a total bonus and is not really that common on the 68-70 performance b bodies. That car does not need a lot that other B body projects don't need. Sure there are better examples in hardtops and coupes and even converts, but as mentioned there were not that many 68-70 B body converts made .. and the GTX converts were only 68-69 in the 68-70 series .. none in 70.

If you find a better 68-70 B body RR, GTX, or Coronet R/T, notice only 3 listed .. it's just gonna cost you a lot more than this car will sell for.

And being a Gtx they only came with big blocks. 440's or Hemi's. Its not a small bock satellite conv. It needs a full restoration. Maybe the graveyard cars guys will restore it.

I got $150 for it and I ain't goin a dollar more. Unless the original parts (i.e. block, heads, trans, interior) can be found it's not an original car. No better than a clone.

I shouldn't say the full vin, the core support and drain rail has the digits after the XS29 in the vin. id have to check the gearbox to see if its the full vin.

Prior to 69 the engine would have no numbers, from the factory and isn't a warranty block.

I'm not saying that there might not be so earlier cars with numbers on them, I might even suspect those as being warranty with the numbers added.

As for the body stampings
69 and later are the only years with the VIN or part of it, there may have been a transition in 68 but I don't think so.

1969-? X9 000000
X= Factory code in VIN
9=Year
00000=Last 6 in VIN

1968 - X8Y 000000
X=Factory code in VIN
8=Year
Y=Car Line (First digit in VIN)
000000=Shipping Order (on Data Tag)

?-1967 - 70 123 000000
7=Year
0=Factory code in VIN
123=Date Code (on Data Tag)

I would be interested in seeing one that is different than this.

Alan

Prior to 69 the engine would have no numbers, from the factory and isn't a warranty block.

I'm not saying that there might not be so earlier cars with numbers on them, I might even suspect those as being warranty with the numbers added.

As for the body stampings
69 and later are the only years with the VIN or part of it, there may have been a transition in 68 but I don't think so.

1969-? X9 000000
X= Factory code in VIN
9=Year
00000=Last 6 in VIN

1968 - X8Y 000000
X=Factory code in VIN
8=Year
Y=Car Line (First digit in VIN)

?-1967 - 70 123 000000
7=Year
0=Factory code in VIN
123=Date Code (on Data Tag)

I would be interested in seeing one that is different than this.

Alan

In 1968 only...they put the last 8 digits of the vin at the rear of the engine block. It is located on the top edge of the rear most area of the block. It's within 2" of the oil pressure holes that the factory used for the oil pressure sender unit.

As I said above I have one and it's on my engine stand right now. The trans is sitting on the floor right next to it .. serial number matches and is at the top center on the front of the bellhousing.

Car was built in STL and is a very early car so it wasn't a late year thing.

So it is not a numbers matching car, so there goes half the value.Alan

Thats not so true on a upper echelon car such as a 69 GTX convertible. A correctly date coded drive line in this car won't affect value that much. The fact that any of these cars survived with original engines and/or transmissions is unusual.

Looks like most of the nasty dissassembly has been done already. I see nothing that won't need to be done an any project of this sort. No engine or trans .... $4-6K. Add 35-40K for a restro and you have a 75K car.

You'd need to be able to perform most of the work yourself, If your just gonna sign checks ..... then stay on the porch.

I just realized why C-bodies are my passion. No one gives a ratzazz about all this on C-bodies.

Your right Stan, life in the C body world is a lot less complicated then B & E bodys. And a WHOLE lot less expensive.

This GTX would demand a total, OEM type of restoration to realize a return on the investment ..... It would result in a trailer queen that no one could really enjoy as it was meant to enjoy.

Your right Stan, life in the C body world is a lot less complicated then B & E bodys. And a WHOLE lot less expensive.

This GTX would demand a total, OEM type of restoration to realize a return on the investment ..... It would result in a trailer queen that no one could really enjoy as it was meant to enjoy.

All this talk is making me have flashbacks of the good times with my 69 Super Bee.

Thanks Will

A C-body in that condition, no matter how originally rare a/o desirable, gets at best a "Hey, I could use the right door panel of that thing"...
I just can NOT get into that stuff.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I just realized why C-bodies are my passion. No one gives a ratzazz about all this on C-bodies.

Tell that to Dan
Years ago I found him amusing. Very entertaining at his high points.
I am now convinced he has a mental disorder where he cannot comprehend that there is a point where there is no person left on Earth that wants his crap.
Fortunately he's not dangerous.

All this talk is making me have flashbacks of the good times with my 69 Super Bee.Thanks Will

My fondest memories are from that era too Bob, Cruisin Woodward ave in a brand new A12 Road Runner is something that just cannot be explaned, or duplicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back