My Next Victim

The new floor test fitted in. Still waiting on the left extension so I'm not gonna start welding until I get it and fit it.
20240111_110033.jpg
20240111_110040.jpg
20240111_110102.jpg

Here's an FYI if you ever want to put a one piece trunk floor in an E body. You can do it even if you're not replacing a quarter panel. You just remove the lower rear body panel, about 12 spot welds and you can slip the floor up and in.
20240111_110215.jpg

Well this simple trunk floor replacement has turned in to a lot more work. The customer decided he wanted to put in wider wheel tubs so he can run bigger tires. AMD makes the tubs so that's not a problem, the problem is trying to get them in without replacing the quarter panel. The right side quarter was pretty rough so that we're replacing now. The left side only needs a rear lower patch panel but after removing the tub on the right side with the quarter off I'm not going to even try the left with the quarter in place. Guess I'm going to sell him another quarter panel job.
20240222_092342.jpg
20240222_134109.jpg
20240222_134123.jpg

New wider tub on right side all in and ready to weld in the quarter. And then I get to do it all over again on the other side!
20240311_114915.jpg
20240311_114934.jpg
20240311_114958.jpg
20240311_121023.jpg
20240311_121130.jpg

Is it beneficial to splice the quarter there under the body line? Or was it because they are skins and not full quarters?

Is it beneficial to splice the quarter there under the body line? Or was it because they are skins and not full quarters?
Yes, they're just skins not full quarters. I've done full quarters on E body's before and they are a lot of extra work with out much real benefit. Going up to the factory seam is very labor intensive and it must be leaded in. When I get time I'll try to find the thread I posted here years ago when I had to get the factory rep involved because the All Metal I used kept shrinking and leaving a shadow of the seam.

Here's all I could find about E body roof seams. This does explain the issue I had find explains why I don't want to do full quarters on an E body.

as doing a 71 Cuda and I filled the seams with all metal as I had done many times before with no problems. On this car I was ready to paint and was doing the final wipe down when I could feel a depression all along the seam on both sides. I blocked it down and put a skim coat of filler on and called it good. I put it out in the to dry and within minutes the seam had shown up again. So I contacted the rep for USSC who makes the All metal. He came to my shop and was baffled. He said I was doing everything right including adding extra catalyst to make it harder. They tried to duplicate the problem in their lab with no success. What I finally found out after posting my problem on Moparts is that for some unknown reason E bodies will do this every time if you don't lead the seams. Why B, C or A body's don't do it is a mystery. The seams are identical to the e bodies. But because of the hard lesson I learned I lead all quarter to roof seams no matter what car it is. In your case Peter all metal should work fine especially since not many guys out there can or will work with lead
x

Yep, gotta lead em on an ebody.
I'm curious, that appear to be a barracuda and not a cuda as mentioned.
Any info you can share about the car?

Beautiful work on the BEE!

I can't quite make it out, are you butt welding that quarter skin?

Yep, gotta lead em on an ebody.
I'm curious, that appear to be a barracuda and not a cuda as mentioned.
Any info you can share about the car?

Beautiful work on the BEE!
Yeah it's just a Baracuda. I'll post a picture of the fender tag tomorrow.

Was it bent, broken or rotted? I didn’t see any damage, but it may have been not in view.
No the only reason for doing this is he wants to put 3 inch wider tubs in it for big fat tires. I tried really hard to talk him out of it but no luck.

And I'll bet he's real good with buses too.
His son is good, at least on the mechanical stuff. They looked at this one for me a few years back. EOD, just TOO far away and UNable to make the drive with it. I still liked it and wonder what happend to it. Scenicruisin'..?

Ive got about a dozen car things to keep Chris busy .. can't get him to leave the desert for the snow belt. heck is wrong with him :poke:

Anyway, seriously good guys!

1710955279683.png

Last edited:
Back