1 of 5 Hurst T-tops 1977 Chsysler Lebaron FS Barn Finds

The 2 groups at shows that are the most entertaining.....those who look at/walk up to my car and have to look at the nameplates to see what it is (and still have no clue sometimes), and those who say they used to have one just like it. I say "it had t-tops"?, and they say no,blah,blah. So, basically you DID NOT have one just like it. My buddy and I always laugh our asses off after they leave.

The one we used to get amused at was, as the guy (usually) looks at a Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack and says, "My buddy had one like that, but it was a four door. Nice car." then walks off. And then there's the guy who's trying to impress his buddy or girl friend with their car knowledge, which is another conversation.

CBODY67

The one we used to get amused at was, as the guy (usually) looks at a Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack and says, "My buddy had one like that, but it was a four door. Nice car." then walks off. And then there's the guy who's trying to impress his buddy or girl friend with their car knowledge, which is another conversation.

CBODY67
I really love this type, especially when they are with their girlfriend, and the misinformation is coming like water from a faucet. Then when they start to argue with me, I shut them down with, "I was turning wrenches before your daddy even thought of you". Then watch them walk away all pissed off.

I never realized that T tops were installed after the fact. I learned something today.

If any of my following statements are false I'm sure the more knowledgeable here can and will correct me. The whole car was assembled and then shipped out for the conversion. ASC ripped a good majority of the interior out to do their work and then reassembled it and sent it back to Chrysler. Neat thing when I got mine and pulled the rear seats looking for the BS is that there were vinyl top and headliner material cuts left there. Not one bit color faded as they have not seen the light of day until I pulled them out. If ever needed, I have perfect color samples to use.

If any of my following statements are false I'm sure the more knowledgeable here can and will correct me. The whole car was assembled and then shipped out for the conversion. ASC ripped a good majority of the interior out to do their work and then reassembled it and sent it back to Chrysler. Neat thing when I got mine and pulled the rear seats looking for the BS is that there were vinyl top and headliner material cuts left there. Not one bit color faded as they have not seen the light of day until I pulled them out. If ever needed, I have perfect color samples to use.
In 1977 the cars shipped to Hurst, (G.M., Chrysler, and Ford), were complete cars off the line. Starting with the new bodies from G.M. in 1978 the "T Tops" Were factory installed and a G.M. design. You can tell on the "B, F, and G" bodies as there is no separate frame on the factory installed tops. This was also a curse to me as since they knew I worked on them, I got to repair every damn one of them that leaked water. Some cars had to be totally rebuilt to stop the water.

In 1977 the cars shipped to Hurst, (G.M., Chrysler, and Ford), were complete cars off the line. Starting with the new bodies from G.M. in 1978 the "T Tops" Were factory installed and a G.M. design. You can tell on the "B, F, and G" bodies as there is no separate frame on the factory installed tops. This was also a curse to me as since they knew I worked on them, I got to repair every damn one of them that leaked water. Some cars had to be totally rebuilt to stop the water.

Bill, the factory installed GM T-tops had a thinner "T" than did the aftermarket ones, right?

Hey Bill, this is one time I will have to DISAGREE(remind you of anything?)with you,lol! My 'Doba has the conversion sticker on the driver door from American Sunroof Corporation(ASC).

pics0040-copy-jpg.jpg

I purchased this car a year old from Cars and Concepts. (I think they were in Brighton, Mi. area. It was a C&C employee's vehicle to drive for a year. C&C installed the T-Tops just before I took delivery. I can tell you the glass and top of your head got awfully cold during our Michigan winters.
Smokey and The Bandit sold a lot of Trans Am T-Top cars.

Last edited:
Hey Bill, this is one time I will have to DISAGREE(remind you of anything?)with you,lol! My 'Doba has the conversion sticker on the driver door from American Sunroof Corporation(ASC).
I must have not gotten it out right, I was referring to G.M. cars.

Aw heck, since we're going so in depth on the topic, let's talk about the earliest applications I am aware of... Packard Predictor:

42728-500-0.jpg

Which used an articulated stainless panel that retracted into the center.

And then Oldsmobile/asc tried 20 years later...

1977-oldsmobile-toronado-xsr-coupe-7.jpg

1977 Oldsmobile Toronado XSR Coupe

We're well overdue for another attempt, but I think the current generation is considered too fragile for high-speed wind movement. Thus they'll likely install LCD screens in the roof to create a virtual sky. I should patent that idea...

There was actually one of these Diplomats at our local Cruise Night here in town last summer. Pretty good shape too. Not sure what model year it would have...

Dav
IMG_20170916_182316.jpg
IMG_20170916_182324.jpg
IMG_20170916_182338.jpg
IMG_20170916_182358.jpg
e

Cover your eyes but I had this years ago 1980 Z/28 350 4-speed with T-tops. I actually really liked the car and the T-tops. From time to time I find myself looking for a nice original Dodge Magnum GT with that option. Too bad they didn't come with a 4-speed.

Dave

IMG_20150903_160350.jpg

IMG_20150903_160427.jpg

IMO this car’s Hurst connection is a hoax. Probably put forth by a previous owner. One can buythat badge from Year One.
Dick Chrysler did own Hurst also but he purchased that in early 80s.

Back