101 uses for a pool noodle and other restoration hacks

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems some of the most general items in a car restoration are not available on the internet or elsewhere. You need a simple item to complete a job so you have to come up with creative ways to make a part or protect a part during restoration or transportation. The universal pool noodle is just one of those items. If you have used a non typical product to solve a restoration project post it here.
image.jpg

Door lock Anti rattle foam. When putting my doors back together I realized my ani-rattle foam pieces were tost causing my lock rods to rattle in the door. To be fair I didn’t search the internet for any as I believe d that the shipping cost would be more than the parts price. I happened to wander by a box of pool noodles in the store and had an idea. Why not use that to stop the rattling? I used a hole saw on my drill and had them made in seconds.
85F8CB59-B368-4F4A-A947-0587AAA80273.jpeg
DE2A7369-FD5C-4C53-90C3-38F0188A94A9.jpeg
DF08A693-CE87-40C1-B5F4-FCBC27F23E30.jpeg

Last edited:
Protecting my stainless trim while buffing.
I am usually careful when buffing, but there are times when the wheel catches the piece and slams it into the buffer spindle. If you are lucky you didn’t bend it and only have a little ding from the spindle grinding on your piece. It really sucks if you are on the final polishing stage and have to start over. The pool noodle is a perfect nick preventer. It is soft and cushioning, round like the spindle and already has a center drilled hole. Cut the length to fit the spindle and you are done. Happy buffing.
46C49A03-5279-4224-BA23-93B4AC5DD1F1.jpeg

And while not "pool noodles" I've used the following;

Water pipe insulation around a delrin rod for tight contour sanding;
IMG_20181013_125057223_HDR.jpg

Tool box drawer cushion around 4" PVC to larger contour sanding;

IMG_20181013_125117327_HDR.jpg

Thanks, it was once. I don't know what happened to it. Sold it in 2015 to pay to hook the house I was selling up to city sewer to move to FL. I loved that car. If I ever find another low mileage RT or even SRT8 I will be buying it.

20150428_191321.jpg

Last edited:
Another use..... If you only have one bathroom in the house and you are working on the toilet.... You can fit one to the top of a sturdy 7 gallon bucket as a make shift "seat". Use a plastic bag as a liner.

You may thank me some day for that tip......

Reminds me of a incident a co worker had a number of years ago. He is very mild mannered and I have never seen him loose his temper.
He lived on a few acres and had a goat. One day as he was doing yard work the goat came up behind him and butted him. He turned around and grabbed the goat by his horns and hammer tossed him. Unfortunately the goat hit a tree and died. A pool noodle could have saved the goats life.

I use the pool noodles to protect the edges of my glass in storage, and my freshly restored door panels while in storage. I also use them to trim out the corners of my work bench to provide protection for my car doors.

Back