SOLD 1953 Windsor project car

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="tbm3fan, For most of us this is a hobby to practice before your 70 for many. If I take on another project at 64 it will be an easy one. [/QUOTE]

At 70 I am waist deep in my LAST restoration. And I have special reasons for doing it that will carry me through to the end.
It's not all about age though. The bar for quality standards has been set pretty high now and the cost of services even higher, when you can find someone to perform them.
It used to be two weeks in a trim shop got you a great interior. Now it's a year and a grand for a set of interior panels. I've bought nice drivable cars for what it cost to plate a set of bumpers now.
Taking on an obscure car, (such as my 61 Fury), is not for the weak of heart. If not for the internet it probably could not be done.
I've been involved in the restoration of hundreds of cars and scratch built a few. This 61 Fury will be my LAST.
It is a dying hobbie, and it's a shame. It's tough to bring youth into something they don't understand.

Soon some won't even know what a car key looks like...
I feel dumb. I don't know how to unlock the door on my '08 Avenger with the key without setting off the alarm, and I haven't bothered to take the time to learn. :confused: :(

[QUOTE="tbm3fan, For most of us this is a hobby to practice before your 70 for many. If I take on another project at 64 it will

At 70 I am waist deep in my LAST restoration. And I have special reasons for doing it that will carry me through to the end.
It's not all about age though. The bar for quality standards has been set pretty high now and the cost of services even higher, when you can find someone to perform them.
It used to be two weeks in a trim shop got you a great interior. Now it's a year and a grand for a set of interior panels. I've bought nice drivable cars for what it cost to plate a set of bumpers now.
Taking on an obscure car, (such as my 61 Fury), is not for the weak of heart. If not for the internet it probably could not be done.
I've been involved in the restoration of hundreds of cars and scratch built a few. This 61 Fury will be my LAST.
It is a dying hobbie, and it's a shame. It's tough to bring youth into something they don't understand.

I've seen your work Will.

You are a Master Restoration Guru!

I feel dumb. I don't know how to unlock the door on my '08 Avenger with the key without setting off the alarm, and I haven't bothered to take the time to learn. :confused: :(

You can do that? My 10' Challenger, if I need the key the alarm goes off .... I just prepare myself and move quick to start it

You can do that? My 10' Challenger, if I need the key the alarm goes off .... I just prepare myself and move quick to start it
Yeah, I looked at a thread on an Avenger forum (there's at least 1) and they were laughing at people like me, can't use their key properly.

I'm 37 and the wife is 34. We both like the pre 55 Mopars. (C bodies and Forward Look too) I know several people in their 20s and 30s who are into the old stuff too. Not all is lost! There are still some 'younger' people into cool stuff.

Age is mostly just a frame of mind. Stay active ..... stay young.

Yes, "frame of mind." However, the structural frame can be a whole other issue.

Just to give you some extremes. Patient one I have seen for since 1998 including family. Worked at a hospital but was laid off 6 years ago for performance issues. Those performance issues were early Alzheimer's. My wife, who aides the elderly part time was hired to spend time with her by her husband. Things got to the point were all mirrors in the house had to be removed and the drapes always drawn. Either there was that ***** in the mirror she would yell or coming across the lawn. She had to be put into a nursing home for full time care last year. She is 60 years old.

The fellow who has the 54 Desoto when he was in his late 60's. I haven't seen him in 2 1/2 years now which is not a good sign. Five years ago I noted a visual form of Alzheimer's where he couldn't remember what he just saw. That car will never get done.

Last Thursday I saw 18 nursing home patients. The one that stands out was the 102 year old woman who truly had her wits about her. I always test them on their past and then joke around with them using some leading statements. Confined to a wheelchair but you can easily have a conversation with her and discuss what Colorado was like when she was 10 in 1925. A true joy and I promised her a birthday cupcake with candle next year and she said she can't wait.

From my limited perspective it seems male patients need to get past the mid-70's at which point they seem to be Ok. I have watched a fair amount decline between 73-77. Very sad to see since I have known many for 25-30 years and we always had great conversations which each other. The latest one to decline I used to go with, at his invitation, to the Naval War College when they had a weekend meeting in San Mateo. Him an Army Lt. Col. in intel during Korea along with a retired Navy Admiral.

And it's gone....

GqtAZJk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back