1957 DeSoto Hemi in the Junkyard

Dutchrebuild

Reaction score
Been sitting at least 50 years....4-door... completely rotted out

IMG_20230329_105656172.jpg

This reminds me of when I was doing some junkyard hopping with my two uncles in North Carolina. In one yard there was a '54 DeSoto with a hemi in it. The owner of the yard, wanting to advertise the small elephant, had painted "HEME" on the hood of the car. My Uncle June, my Day's middle brother, yells out so that everyone in the yard could hear, "Hey Scotty, this one has a HE-ME in it; is that like what y'all got out there in California, those He-Shes?"

I was laughing my head off... while burying my head underneath a junked car!

Still a ton of people out there un-educated about that. Just last year at a car show, I overheard a couple looking at my Charger. The gal asked. "What's a He me"?? He said. "Dunno". I thought about explaining it to them but I chalked it up to them being Jess shivvy folk.

I know the Hemi is legendary, but so is the wedge and in third place the poly (in terms of hype). Although, no one really knows of those latter two terms nor are there any emblems or logos to promote them, that I know of. The word "hemi" sounds cool thus why the hype and notoriety even among non-moparians who haven't a clue. "Wedge" just doesn't have that ring to it. If stated it might make people think of a slice of parmesan or something.

Who would put on a bumper sticker that says: "Yeah, it's got a WEDGE"

Change my mind....

I think some of the muscle cars Chrysler sold in the seventies had wedge spelled out on their hoods. It might have been A bodies with a 340 wedge. I had a guy at a cruise night try to argue with me about the 440 I put in my 57. He told me "I didn't know what I was talking about and that it was a Hemi" There are lots of "experts" out there.

Back