1957 Windsor questions

Ford and Chevy got new sheet metal pretty much every year back then, so their '56, '57, and '58 cars were all different. Plymouth and some others operated on a two-year situation, of necessity, so their sheet metal and trim needed to be adaptable to future uses.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here’s some photos of some of the cars that will be heading to the crusher

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

IMG_6273.jpeg

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6270.jpeg

IMG_6274.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6278.jpeg

The 58 dodge truck is actually an unbelievably rare Fargo Sweptside, one of 11 made in 1958.
I bought that truck 3 years ago (the photos are 3 years old) and I am 2/3 of the way through its restoration

The cars are located in northern Saskatchewan; unfortunately a 9 hour or so drive from me.
I’m going to have the 57 Windsor hauled to me from there

The cars are located in northern Saskatchewan; unfortunately a 9 hour or so drive from me.
I’m going to have the 57 Windsor hauled to me from there
Do you have contact information for the property owner in case anyone else wants to try to save any of them before they get crushed?

I went to my 1955-'58 parts book. The headlight section only references 2 and 4 headlight systems and various versions of export headlights. There is no date or VIN number references. When I get a chance I will check the Service and Parts bulletins. Chrysler may have sent notices to the states that hadn't changed over yet basically saying that they were sending 2 headlight cars until they ran out and were then sending 4 headlight cars.

I got a local guy to move some junk from around the Windsor today, air up the tires and he pulled it out to beside the farm driveway so that I can now arrange to have it hauled.
The car looks better out of the weeds.

IMG_3156.jpeg

JCWhitney sold kits to make a 2 headlight car into a 4 headlight car. Give it that "modern look".

I went to my 1955-'58 parts book. The headlight section only references 2 and 4 headlight systems and various versions of export headlights. There is no date or VIN number references. When I get a chance I will check the Service and Parts bulletins. Chrysler may have sent notices to the states that hadn't changed over yet basically saying that they were sending 2 headlight cars until they ran out and were then sending 4 headlight cars.
Kind of like they don't/didn't put front license plate attaching hardware in vehicles destined for states where the front plate was not needed?

The Windsor was delivered today and it is going to be a very good car when I’ve restored it. Needs rockers and front floor pans, but other than that it’s a very solid car.
I’m missing a few parts but hopefully they should be easy to track down.

I thought I would post up a photo of the firewall tag and hopefully someone here can decode it for me!

IMG_3174.jpeg

The Windsor was delivered today and it is going to be a very good car when I’ve restored it. Needs rockers and front floor pans, but other than that it’s a very solid car.
I’m missing a few parts but hopefully they should be easy to track down.

I thought I would post up a photo of the firewall tag and hopefully someone here can decode it for me!

View attachment 604392
I believe the trim code reads KBR

JCWhitney sold kits to make a 2 headlight car into a 4 headlight car. Give it that "modern look".
Studebaker must've bought all those kits then. Probably the worst execution of year to year updates. I know they were broke, but wow.

I’m very curious to confirm the factory paint colours.
According to the firewall tag it’s 2711, and I know that means 27 is the roof and side trim colour, and 11 is the body but I’m having a hard time finding what colours those codes were in 57.
Can anyone set me straight on what colours 27 and 11 were for Chrysler in 57?

Back