1957 Windsor questions

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a 1957 Chrysler Windsor that is complete, but has been sitting for a long time. The car would need a restoration but is definitely saveable.
This car has single headlights, and in searching photos of 57 windsors I see mostly dual headlights.
We’re the single headlights earlier in the year cars?

O.K.
This From a Dumb Aussie Who Doesn't Know What He's Talking About at the Best of Times.
But I Seem to Remember Reading Somewhere that Back in Those Days Some of the States
Would Not Allow Dual Headlights, Take a Look at the 57 Plymouth.
I'm Sure Someone of Vastly Superior Knowledge will Correct Me if I'm Wrong.
And I Don't Mind at All Because That's What This Site is All About.
How Else are the Young & Inexperienced going to Learn.
(Not Only That But I'm Good Looking Too!) LOL
All the Best,
Tony.M

1957 DeSotos had both:
57_DeS_FireSweep.jpg

57-DeS_FireFlite.jpg

As everyone is saying, the dual headlights weren't legal in all the states when the '57 came out.

I assume the car is in Canada. That makes me wonder if it was also not legal in Canada or some of the provinces at the time.

FWIW, my Dad's '57 Windsor (bought in 1958) had dual lights and that car was sold new in Syracuse, NY.

It is going to need a lot of work . Good luck with the project Dual head lights started in 1958 ( My dad told me he was around back when these cars were brand new).

What was said above is correct. In N.Y. duals were legal starting in 1958. My 57 has the single light with the parking light next to it. It was designed so it could easily be switched to duals in 58.

DSCF2382.jpg

I’ve restored worse, and I got the car for next to nothing.
Unfortunately there are another 10 or so fin cars there including a couple of custom royals in similar condition that are going to the crusher as the elderly couple have significant health issues and are selling the farm they are on.
I grabbed the Windsor because it is a 2 door

I’ve restored worse, and I got the car for next to nothing.
Unfortunately there are another 10 or so fin cars there including a couple of custom royals in similar condition that are going to the crusher as the elderly couple have significant health issues and are selling the farm they are on.
I grabbed the Windsor because it is a 2 door

In '57, Plymouth was touting itself as being "A Step Ahead" in styling, so they put the park light next to the single headlight to give that impression. Then made the expected switch to 4 headlights in '58. In '58, all of the cars had 4 headlights, as I recall. So, the '57 Plymouth already had the '58 look one year ahead of time.

CBODY67

In N.Y. duals were legal starting in 1958
Gotta disagree on that.

My Dad's '57 Windsor had dual lights. He bought it used in late 1957 or early 1958, but the car was sold new locally.

Maybe that change came Jan 1, 1957, because I remember seeing both singles and duals back then,

Last edited:
DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial were mixed single/dual headlights in 1957. At the beginning of the model year (1956 calendar year), some states still had not legalized the dual headlights. By the 1957 calendar year, most/all states had made that legal. That's why all 1957 DeSoto Adventurers are dual headlights (they came out in January 1957) and then 1958 model year cars (released in 1957) are dual headlights. 1957 Firedomes & Fireflites can be found with both types. All Firesweeps were single headlight cars for the 1957 model year.

Back