1958 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Super D500 Convertible

Although I am a STRONG advocate of driving your cars, in this instance, I have to disagree with these two comments. How many 1960 300F's do you see in original, untouched condition with less than 30K miles on the clock? I'd venture to say this may be the only one left in the world. Unfortunately, every mile you put on it devalues it a little. With our crowded roads, you also have the realistic danger of someone running into it which would absolutely kill the value. IMO, the value of this car is so high, Steve could probably sell it, buy a project 300F, restore it and put money in the bank.

What is the use of having a car that you just stand there and look at? For me, driving is what makes the hobby.......I can be in the worst mood and a ride with the top down and seeing thumb after thumb up changes my attitude entirely.

What is the use of having a car that you just stand there and look at? For me, driving is what makes the hobby.......I can be in the worst mood and a ride with the top down and seeing thumb after thumb up changes my attitude entirely.

I agree with you but this car is different. I believe, because of the condition and originality, this car could fetch well over $100K at auction. IMO, the joy of driving this particular car does not outweigh the risk factor in doing so. If this car gets hit the value could drop by more than half. This is why I recommended selling and buying/restoring another. If this car were mine, I would only drive it on very, very rare occasions.

I believe I posted the 300F on another thread, but for the sake of completeness, I will also show it here. It has just under 30K miles and is unrestored. I have a hard time deciding whether to restore some items that have deteriorated a little or leave them as is, such a some red paint flaking off the rams and the padding under the dash pad is deteriorating, causing it to droop a little.

View attachment 26830

That is gorgeous, needs nothing IMO but a driver

I agree with you but this car is different. I believe, because of the condition and originality, this car could fetch well over $100K at auction. IMO, the joy of driving this particular car does not outweigh the risk factor in doing so. If this car gets hit the value could drop by more than half. This is why I recommended selling and buying/restoring another. If this car were mine, I would only drive it on very, very rare occasions.

ahhhh.......I did not see where you recommended selling.......and yes, one could do quite well with the 100K (if it were to fetch that)........IIRC there is/was one for sale in NJ, blue htp, needing resto but they wanted 29K

ahhhh.......I did not see where you recommended selling.......and yes, one could do quite well with the 100K (if it were to fetch that)........IIRC there is/was one for sale in NJ, blue htp, needing resto but they wanted 29K

Yup. You'd be hard pressed to find another 300F survivor in this condition with less than 30K miles.

Value is usually monetary.

Of course it is........ and my question is, based solely on a monetary point of view you wouldnt drive it? If it was that rare and it was worth five hundred bucks would you still feel the same way?

Of course it is........ and my question is, based solely on a monetary point of view you wouldnt drive it? If it was that rare and it was worth five hundred bucks would you still feel the same way?

Yes, the value is what would deter me, especially with knowing that if some retard ran into me the car would loose more than half its value. You know the saying, "It's only original once." This most certainly applies here.

My car is rare. One of only 1,148 made in 1965. That being said, its value is not near that of Steve's F. I drive my car any chance I get, without hesitation and have no fear of anyone hitting me as it won't affect the value if a fender needs to be replaced and paint work needs to be done. Steve's car on the other hand….

Yes, the value is what would deter me, especially with knowing that if some retard ran into me the car would loose more than half its value. You know the saying, "It's only original once." This most certainly applies here.

My car is rare. One of only 1,148 made in 1965. That being said, its value is not near that of Steve's F. I drive my car any chance I get, without hesitation and have no fear of anyone hitting me as it won't affect the value if a fender needs to be replaced and paint work needs to be done. Steve's car on the other hand….
I own an '89 Lotus Esprit that was pushing $75K Brand new...only 735 sold worldwide, I love driving it as much as I can. The way I see it is what's the polnt of having it if you can't enjoy it. Money isn't everything. Life is too short. Drive it with prudence, that's what it's there for.

I own an '89 Lotus Esprit that was pushing $75K Brand new...only 735 sold worldwide, I love driving it as much as I can. The way I see it is what's the polnt of having it if you can't enjoy it. Money isn't everything. Life is too short. Drive it with prudence, that's what it's there for.

Surely you aren't comparing an '89 Lotus that tops out at around $20K to possibly the lowest mile, nicest survivor 1960 300F on the planet that's worth north of $100K. Let's compare apples to apples. I would have no issue driving your '89 Lotus. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I never thought I'd be on the no drive side of the argument.

Look at it this way. If this was a restored car, I'd have no concern. Guys, it's all ORIGINAL.

every mile you put on it devalues it a little.
value.
IMO, the value of this car is so high,
put money in the bank.

I can't agree. The car needs and should be driven. 5K miles a year won't effect the value of this car.
And whats the big issue about value anyways ..... This car is a symbol of passion. If value means that much then .... yeah, sell it .... put the money in the bank...... NOW thats a lot of fun....!

Ok Scott, thats what i wanted to know...curious to the thought. I gotta disagree

I can't agree. The car needs and should be driven. 5K miles a year won't effect the value of this car.
And whats the big issue about value anyways ..... This car is a symbol of passion. If value means that much then .... yeah, sell it .... put the money in the bank...... NOW thats a lot of fun....!

Exactly Will. No car was ever built to not be driven. I would drive a 1 of 1 with 10 miles on it but I would be sure it was driven under ideal weather conditions and maintained to the highest standards. We are only the earth for a finite amount of time and Walter P. wanted all of his cars driven and enjoyed.

Surely you aren't comparing an '89 Lotus that tops out at around $20K to possibly the lowest mile, nicest survivor 1960 300F on the planet that's worth north of $100K. Let's compare apples to apples. I would have no issue driving your '89 Lotus. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I never thought I'd be on the no drive side of the argument.

Look at it this way. If this was a restored car, I'd have no concern. Guys, it's all ORIGINAL.

I am. Whats the difference? When my car was brand new it was worth way more than a $6000 (when new) 300F. Granted in time, values reversed, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be driven. When the original owner bought the car,what was he supposed to do? Put it on a pedestal...Ohhhhhhh "I'm afraid to drive my car I might put miles on it" No he drove it just like I'm driving it and my other classics. Surely you drive them with the care and respect they deserve but these cars were made to be driven, enjoyed, and shared with like minded individuals.

I understand the not driving it mindset....but owning a rare survivor, i just cant " not drive it"

Back