WANTED 1958 Plymouth 350 block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana

Woodruff Carburetor Specialties
FCBO Vendor
Reaction score
Contact seller
Been building 2bbls for the hobby stock class & Pittsburg motor speedway. The rules state 350” max cu.in. All of my customers are kicking *** and one fella is fielding 3 cars has to he track record and finished 4 seconds ahead of the pack to finish the year. But I know that there isn’t a production cylinder headed SBC out there that can hang with a BBM. I want to put a 350 BBM in an F body with a modified 904 tf. And go out there and kick their ***.

Call Murray Park.

Will do, thanks pal

Can’t: production numbers. When that Plymouth starts taking the stripe, inspectors will be all over it. First off, none of them brand X’rs are gonna believe Mopar made a 350. That will be my first fight!

You really haven’t heard ANYTHING until you’ve heard a dirt track racer cry!

Are you going to use the first incarnation of the BB heads with 1.95 intake valves and closed chambers? Do they have piston rules? Are you going to need to use the stock pistons? I’ve never looked but do they even make pistons for a 350 BBM?

Interesting idea you have, good luck!

It would be a shame to scatter an original Mopar 350 block. You know, they don't grow on trees like the Chevy 350 does.. I just seen that Kanter Auto Parts has 350 pistons, limited sizes though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 350 actually an RB block? You could make that thing indestructible with some good aftermarket rods & custom lightweight flat tops but that might be a little pricier than you want to go.

Can’t: production numbers. When that Plymouth starts taking the stripe, inspectors will be all over it. First off, none of them brand X’rs are gonna believe Mopar made a 350. That will be my first fight!
The rules specifically say part numbers have to match? If not, you just have to show a 350 was a production engine and they should have a whistle to measure displacement.

Do they allow any head porting? If no, a 906 is neck and neck with a Vortec for flow and if the head has to match the 350 Mopar ie a 516 style head, you'll probably get your butt handed to you. Then there is the weight difference...

Not trying to rain on your parade but you need to do some serious homework before you get too deep into this.

Kevin

Part numbers don’t have to match. 3200lb weight.
Porting is something nobody talks about, kinda like these stock 2bbls we’re building.

Do you need to use the early heads? Or any iron heads?

wouldnt a 340 be a better start, weight and heads?

Any production iron heads.

Last edited:
Even with later heads, the 350 bore size is going to shroud valves. It's nifty to think about but I agree a 340 or stroked 318 would kick more butt

Shrouding is my concern. I’m gonna do some flow bench testing with different valve sizes.

What size of camshaft can you use? Do the check vacuum, or lift. Or exhaust note? Rumpity rumpity idle?
rocker arm ratio?

how much do they check?

what are the rules there?

Any hydraulic flat tappet.
Any rocker arm with a 1.5 ratio.
I’ll try to paste the rules here.

A destroked 400 would solve your shrouding problem but you still have the weight to consider.

A Poly block bored out to whatever gives you 350 cubes with a set of Magnum heads would be the easiest way to get there with a small block unless the rules will allow a 360 Mopar.

The engine don't care where the cubes come from but that chassis definitely cares where the weight does.

Kevin

Let us know when you get it together. I'll come down and watch. I haven't been to PMS in ages, great track.
I have another TQ to send your way. I need to through it in the truck and drop it off

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back