1959 Imperial

Omni

Reaction score
Good Day All
Helping a friend trying to resurrect a '59 Imperial convertible. This car was brought to his shop in pieces (MANY boxes).
I am helping with the wiring. A "Painless" harness was purchased, so that is our starting point. We do have a FSM with schematics.
This car is equipped with both a manual and automatic turn signal cancelling switches. (?) The turn signal relay has 14 terminals.
The automatic cancelling switch is broken so we would like to eliminate it. Not sure if the stock T.S. relay is functional or not.
The question is: Can the auto cancelling switch and stock relay be eliminated? Would one re-wire it like a later model mopar? If so any particular year?
Another question concerning the auto cancel switch. The switch has a small roller that looks similar to a later model horn switch. If it does, and the switch is eliminated, looking for thoughts on having a working horn. (Short of just mounting a button on the dash).
Thanks to all who respond

My '59 Imp has the turn signal cancel switch attached to the steering column above the brake pedal. Are we on the same page describing the part? I'm not sure of the outcome if you eliminate it. Perhaps you would have to manually cancel the turn signal by hitting the button on the switch (right or left).

100_0420 (1).JPG

Pete
Your Imperial is beautiful.
The FSM schematic shows both a manual (dash mounted) and automatic (column mounted) switch. My question is are both needed or can one use the dash mounted exclusively?
As this car was a literal basket case, I have not seen the turn signals in action to understand the need for both systems.
Thanks for the response.
Omni

I MIGHT be wrong, but using a Painless harness kit is probably the wrong thing to be using to rewire a car OEM. Unless the harness is for a specific vehicle, it's a "can fit" rather than "specific fit" situation, as I understand it. IF you were building a street rod or similar, then the universal Painless kit would be fine.

Painless does use OEM-quality connectors and such, but that's where the OEM orientation ends. BTAIM

Might check www.jholst.net for service information. Plus the online Imperial club.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I agree, that is a beautiful Imperial in the picture.

Pete
Your Imperial is beautiful.
The FSM schematic shows both a manual (dash mounted) and automatic (column mounted) switch. My question is are both needed or can one use the dash mounted exclusively?
As this car was a literal basket case, I have not seen the turn signals in action to understand the need for both systems.
Thanks for the response.
Omni
The steering column one cancels automatically as the steering column turns. The manual one is the small chrome push button that overrides the automatic switch.

I concur with the 'Painless' kit, however, that is not my call.
As far as OEM , the goal is the aesthetics.
Omni

My '59 Imp has the turn signal cancel switch attached to the steering column above the brake pedal. Are we on the same page describing the part? I'm not sure of the outcome if you eliminate it. Perhaps you would have to manually cancel the turn signal by hitting the button on the switch (right or left).

View attachment 533487
I'll take both the Imp and the house!

Believe it or not, there are a lot of homes in my city and in the area made of stone. My home was built in the 1930s, totally remodeled in the 1950s, and redone in my time since I owned it in 1988. The walk-in attic is now a master bedroom/bathroom suite. It is now a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home that has been completely gone thru. This year, a new city street will be done and a new water and sewer line. After that a new concrete driveway. I try to think ahead and save as much money as possible.

Back