1960 Dodge Dart--Latest Photos

Top Cat

Reaction score
Readers asked for more photos--these were taken within the last two days.

A lot of work was already done on this car before I bought it, including: gas tank, rebuilt carb., electric fuel pump, alternator, electronic ignition, top end of engine rebuilt, all-new brakes (4 wheels + modern master cyl. & booster), gauges rebuilt, new seats, headliner, seat belts, and more. Recently I have compounded and waxed the paint (you can see the difference--the car is now one or two steps darker!) I also added underhood insulation and replaced some windlace. I also cleaned the interior and isolated and eliminated a lot of rattles. Dome light now works. Had to replace brake shoes in parking brake because it wouldn't hold.

20211017_150617-1.jpg
20211017_150746-1.jpg
20211017_120210-1.jpg
20211017_150624-1-1.jpg
20211017_142921.jpg
20211017_150855.jpg
20211017_152903.jpg
20211017_152921.jpg
20211017_150655-1.jpg
20211014_113339-2.jpg

Car runs and drives very nicely. Torsion-Aire ride is remarkably smooth and level--has a "gliding feel". This combined with the easy power steering make for light and pleasant handling. Slant 6--feels a little sluggish off the line, but once you're going it gets turbine-smooth, torque builds, and you'll swear you're driving a V-8! Guys who say "Mopar or no car"--I know what they mean!

Nice looking car! Looks to be in very good shape, too.

You'll learn how to drive the Slant 6 to get the best off-idle response. Might tweak the timing slightly?

Congrats!
CBODY67

Slant 6--feels a little sluggish off the line, but once you're going it gets turbine-smooth, torque builds, and you'll swear you're driving a V-8
Still running points?
I recommend doing a recurve in the distributor and add Pertronix electronic ignition.
Make sure the advance wieghts in the distributor are not stuck, and the vacuum advance should be operational for best low end take off.
I agree bumping the timing will help with today's corn fed gas pumps.
Ditto maybe richen the carb mixture a wee bit as well after advancing the timing to avoid pinging.
Another upgrade that will help is a part throttle kickdown upgrade in valve body.
In such a big heavy car it will help the slanty climb them thar hills!

To simulate the part-throttle kickdown, you might try doing that manually on 3-2 downshifts as the TF is calibrated to only downshift (other than slowing down to a stop) near WOT. Key thing is that it might take a bit more effort with pushbuttons rather than with a gear shift on the steering column.

Get acquainted with it before you start tweaking so that you have a good baseline against which to judge any changes you might make.\

Enjoy!
CBODY67

To simulate the part-throttle kickdown, you might try doing that manually on 3-2 downshifts as the TF is calibrated to only downshift (other than slowing down to a stop) near WOT. Key thing is that it might take a bit more effort with pushbuttons rather than with a gear shift on the steering column.

Get acquainted with it before you start tweaking so that you have a good baseline against which to judge any changes you might make.\

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Before making valve body recommendations you guys should know this car comes with a cast iron torqueflight and not an aluminum 904 or 727.

Last edited:
Back