1960 Dodge Phoenix For Sale - Too Good To Be True?

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Lousy photos, but from what I see, it is surprisingly well preserved if all is as described, even if a California car (now in Iowa). Claimed all original with some 68K miles. Having difficulty loading rest of photos again.....................?
Check out video too (seems to drive pretty well). It is a slant six 225 cu in. but in an upscale model and no radio (unusual). Nice chrome on the door panels too.

Used 1960 Dodge Phoenix for Sale in Sioux City & Le Mars | Stock: Q1968

Capture.png

If you look at the photo of the seats, however, in the photo the door latch isn't painted, as I thought in production they usually were. And the seats look correct, but just too nice for 68K miles. Perhaps a restoration to all original? Not sure.

Last edited:
That does look pretty damn good for original. If Ann was a widow, had no children or pets, put seat covers on and drove to church and bridge club I could see it being a survivor. My Grandma took exceptional care of her cars, they always looked new, that's why she got premium value when she traded them in. I'd like to think it's all original, but it does seem too good to be true. Nice car though, either way.

Lousy photos, but from what I see, it is surprisingly well preserved if all is as described, even if a California car (now in Iowa). Claimed all original with some 68K miles. Having difficulty loading rest of photos again.....................?
Check out video too (seems to drive pretty well). It is a slant six 225 cu in. but in an upscale model and no radio (unusual). Nice chrome on the door panels too.

Used 1960 Dodge Phoenix for Sale in Sioux City & Le Mars | Stock: Q1968

View attachment 140518

If you look at the photo of the seats, however, in the photo the door latch isn't painted, as I thought in production they usually were. And the seats look correct, but just too nice for 68K miles. Perhaps a restoration to all original? Not sure.

Look at those spinners! Mighty fine!

I don't see any claims of original. Floor pans and paperwork perhaps. The originality was preserved in the restoration. That interior was supplied by SMS.

Very nice example. I would suspect a partial respray at least as there is overspray visible on the inside panels of the trunk lid. There is wear on the paint on the drivers sill/rocker entry area thou. It would be relatively economical to run with the sloper but personally I think a big machine needs a big donk.

[QUOTE="sixtyf, It would be relatively economical to run with the sloper but personally I think a big machine needs a big donk.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, on a lesser car. Too many of these cars are going under the knife to become clone, tribute, wanna be's, (pick one), which only tends to make them less user friendly, (and less valuable). This car is a sweet weekend show/cruise car for a family to enjoy. It will never be a good hot rod/race car and is not a comfortable road car. Leave it alone and enjoy as is.

I don't see any claims of original. Floor pans and paperwork perhaps. The originality was preserved in the restoration. That interior was supplied by SMS.

It was this statement that was less than clear that made me wonder too.

"It is an incredibly preserved time capsule!"

Obviously extensively redone, but a Quality Job as it seems. I just hope this wasn't a too nice to restore surviving example. I guess the 6 cyl. will Limit the number of potential buyers to a fraction compared to a V8.

[QUOTE="sixtyf, It would be relatively economical to run with the sloper but personally I think a big machine needs a big donk.

Perhaps, on a lesser car. Too many of these cars are going under the knife to become clone, tribute, wanna be's, (pick one), which only tends to make them less user friendly, (and less valuable). This car is a sweet weekend show/cruise car for a family to enjoy. It will never be a good hot rod/race car and is not a comfortable road car. Leave it alone and enjoy as is.[/QUOTE]

I agree, this one is too nice to alter.

late to the conversation here...
It's looking like a really nice restoration but....here's my view of this
I must be getting old or because I'm gaining knowledge in the field for these cars LOL!!!:lol:
I love this car but I'm seeing a number of incorrectly restored items which to me is critical to being worth the asking price of $38,900us
The side mirrors are not OEM or mounted in the correct position - a major blunder that can't easily corrected
These should be a dual mounted style and on the front fenders should they not?
Under the hood has a number of incorrectly painted items
I won't mention the rad cap or battery....oops! I just did! LOL!
A big interior item is the steering wheel! this should be pristine but the seller didn't invest the money needed to make this a car worthy of the price
There is no underbelly shots which always concerns me... a car with this asking price shouldn't have the buyer asking for pics of the underbody, it should be offered immediately
Reminds me of buying a house with out checking out the foundation

Otherwise it's a beautiful car!
Probably an $18,000 car maximum...

I agree totally with Mr. Fix it on this car. I have one of these of my own so have some knowledge of them. Also has the wrong spinner caps and about $20 K overpriced

That blue slant six is not factory. Nice and shiny, though. Generator is placed correctly - on the driver's side. 1960 was the only year they did that.

The door latch was installed after the car was painted. Same with the door lock.

Radios were optional. 54.2% of US-built Darts were so unequipped. Could have been a choice between a Phoenix hardtop with a small rear window and radio or a Phoenix hardtop with the large rear window and no radio.

The exterior rear view mirrors could have been a dealer installation. Personally I don't blame the owner for door mounting as opposed to fender mounting. Owned a 1964 Studebaker with fender mirrors. Looked nice, but difficult in trying to determine who was on your sides and their exact position.

Only 1,473 six cylinder Phoenix two door hardtops were built in the U.S. compared to 20,525 with a V8.

Plenty of evidence of a resto. Wrong hub caps, Wrong trunk mat, Wrong engine color, SMS replacement interior, Wrong headliner, Wrong mirrors. I restored mine and mine has more of the original stuff than this one does. Nice overpriced car though.

"the original purchase agreement showing Ann Culbertson paid $2700 plus her 1949 Dodge on May 27, 1960 at McK Auto Sales in Coalinga, CA."

Car must of been quite the bill brand new.

Back