1961 Belvedere model RP1/2-M21 2 door sedan?

Ghostrider67

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on this year/ model? It supposedly has a "Golden Commando" V8 as well. I can find some with 4 doors and this roof line/window combo, but no other two doors. All the other 2 doors have the swept back roof and rear window. Help in identifying this particular car please. Thanks and here's some photos. Ply61Belv2sdnWht1.jpgPly61Belv2sdnWht19.jpg

Ply61Belv2sdnWht1.jpg

Ply61Belv2sdnWht19.jpg

My guess would be a Fury 2 door sedan.

:sSig_greetingsthor: ......... :welcome:

It's a 1961 Belvedere two door sedan.
The "Golden Commando" refers to the 361 4bbl optional engine rated at 305 HP. The "Sonoramic Commando" engine was a 383 with cross ram two four bbl's. I have also seen reference to a 413 cross ram engine but don't find it listed as a regular option.
All engines from the six to the Sonoramic were available in all trim levels and body styles.

The data tag will be found either on the core support on the driver side, or on the firewall near the hood hinge. The number under the "B" is the engine code.

I'd love to add the cars info to my small registry of 61 Plymouths. A pic of the data tag and VIN would be much appreciated. Where is this car at.....?

Will.

:sSig_greetingsthor: ......... :welcome:

It's a 1961 Belvedere two door sedan.
The "Golden Commando" refers to the 361 4bbl optional engine rated at 305 HP. The "Sonoramic Commando" engine was a 383 with cross ram two four bbl's. I have also seen reference to a 413 cross ram engine but don't find it listed as a regular option.
All engines from the six to the Sonoramic were available in all trim levels and body styles.

The data tag will be found either on the core support on the driver side, or on the firewall near the hood hinge. The number under the "B" is the engine code.

I'd love to add the cars info to my small registry of 61 Plymouths. A pic of the data tag and VIN would be much appreciated. Where is this car at.....?

Will.

Will, how can we see you 61 registry? Would be interesting to look at to say the least. A linky maybe?

Will, how can we see you 61 registry? Would be interesting to look at to say the least. A linky maybe?

It's not really a registry Bob. Just a collection of body tag pic's and info, and some copys of IBM cards and broadcast sheets found in 61 Plymouths I have seen and some owners I have communicated with.

There are no complete code breakdown lists for these cars known at this time. So myself and a couple of others have pooled our info to try and determine a method of decoding them. Aside from the items above I have gathered an extensive collection of factory literature, code lists of options and have received some help from Chrysler historical.
Armed with all this we can pretty much decode a 61 Plymouth tag, data card or broadcast sheet with a fair amount of accuracy. Still a few mysteries though.

What is your best guess when your 61 Fury will be running and maybe brought to Carlisle?

What is your best guess when your 61 Fury will be running and maybe brought to Carlisle?

Financing will be the determining factor.....
A. Win Lotto...... (quickest)
B. Sell 65 Coronet
C. keep picking at it.

I really don't want to shortcut this project.

Back