1961 big block flywheel

Reaction score
I am looking for advice and tips.

I have a 61 413 that is at the machine shop. I am going to have it broken on the dyno and need a flywheel to connect to the crank. Any pointers on a if getting the flywheel is the best option? If so does anyone have one.

Thanks Mike

A 1961 413 has the extended crank with 8 bolts. The one I had back in the late sixties I put a newer ( I think it was a 1964 crank ) in it so I could use all the newer and easier to find parts. Back then it was easier and cheaper to change the crank then it was to deal with trying to find adapters, etc. to run a newer transmission.

It seems like the best option. They are very different.
I’d go to the forward look website and place a wanted ad.

I've got a really early bellhousing that probably fits that stuff if you need it

Good point, you may need a 61 and older bellhousing to make it work.

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to keep it original. I have the bell housing and the cast iron torqueflite. I'm looking for a way to connect the engine to the dyno to break it in. I think the big block manual transmission flywheel is the only way to connect it to the drive plate on the dyno.

Maybe a flywheel from a manual 361 Newport would work?

I think the 361 flywheel would work. You need a starter to crank this thing over. Or does the dyno crank the engine to start it also?

Back