1961 pheonix fuel sender issues.......

1961 dodge

Reaction score
Howdy, hoping for some help here, strange goings on with the fuel gauge or sender. When tank is full it reads empty, took the gauge panel out and with it out key on the gauge moves. Put the panel back in the dash no workie. I have grounded the fuel sender and this didn't help either.. Can someone point me in the right direction on this please.

Howdy, hoping for some help here, strange goings on with the fuel gauge or sender. When tank is full it reads empty, took the gauge panel out and with it out key on the gauge moves. Put the panel back in the dash no workie. I have grounded the fuel sender and this didn't help either.. Can someone point me in the right direction on this please.
Run a test light from the lead to the tank sending unit, have the lead disconnected from the tank unit. With the test light grounded and the probe hooked to the lead, you should get a flashing light with the key on. If the light flashes, the circuit to the tank is good. Next culprit is going to be a bad float on the sending unit in the tank. Old fuel and moonshine blend fuels eat up the solder on the floats and they will then leak fuel into the float so that it never gets off the bottom of the tank.

Dave

would you know the ohm range for this fuel sender?? seems its bad, i have a flashing light in the wire.

would you know the ohm range for this fuel sender?? seems its bad, i have a flashing light in the wire.
You will need to remove the sender to test it as you will need to move the float thru several positions to check the resistance.
Specs are in the FSM available for free download at www.mymopar.com.

Dave

Back