1962 Chrysler 300 Sport 383 3-speed transmission question

Reaction score
What 3-speed manual transmission would have been installed by the factory in a 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport with the 383 engine? Would it have been a T-85?

What 3-speed manual transmission would have been installed by the factory in a 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport with the 383 engine? Would it have been a T-85?
I own a '62 300 Sport Convertible with a 3-speed manual transmission. I would have to double-check but I believe you are correct on it being a T-85. I do remember that the PontaMason (SP) failed a lot for 60 and 61 so Chrysler gave them a truck transmission. It is a non-synchro unit. Mine has the 413 option etc. I know the rubber shifter boot can go as high as $500 as I never found another vehicle it was shared with.

DSCN0083.JPG

I own a '62 300 Sport Convertible with a 3-speed manual transmission. I would have to double-check but I believe you are correct on it being a T-85. I do remember that the PontaMason (SP) failed a lot for 60 and 61 so Chrysler gave them a truck transmission. It is a non-synchro unit. Mine has the 413 option etc. I know the rubber shifter boot can go as high as $500 as I never found another vehicle it was shared with.

View attachment 528608
Wow, that's one very rare machine! Could you give more pics? What are your driving impressions of the car? Isn't the T-85 non-synchro in 1st gear only?

Wow, that's one very rare machine! Could you give more pics? What are your driving impressions of the car? Isn't the T-85 non-synchro in 1st gear only?
You are correct on first gear only. My car has no P.S. or P.B. nor outside rearview mirrors (I added two). For options, 413, sure-grip, AM radio, leather interior with black cloth inserts. I had concerns about the white top color seeing factory promo cars having a black top with a red exterior. I got the build punch card confirming what the car came ordered with and it came with all you see. The only thing I cannot confirm is the 15" wheels and letter car hubcaps. The owner was deceased and no one to get the car's history.

DSCN0081.JPG

DSCN0080.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

100_0392.JPG

Back