1962 Chrysler Newport windshield gaskets

AngelCalderon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have finally got to the point where I’m ready to replace my windshield gaskets, I’ve called query and steel Ruber co. Neither of them have it I was wondering if you guys had advice and can point me in the right direction

That's going to be a big challenge. Have you tried Nigel Mills at National Moparts in Beaverton, ON? He might have a lead.

I suggest that you do NOT trash the gasket when removing the front window, because you may have to reuse it.

Nobody makes new gaskets. You have to reuse your original or find a good used one off another car. The gaskets unlock and the glass is removed.

1960-1964 full size MoPar all use the same front windshield gasket regardless of body style. There are several different types of rear glass openings so there are many different rear gaskets.

I believe I still have a good front gasket and I have a few different rear gaskets

Nobody makes new gaskets. You have to reuse your original or find a good used one off another car. The gaskets unlock and the glass is removed.

1960-1964 full size MoPar all use the same front windshield gasket regardless of body style. There are several different types of rear glass openings so there are many different rear gaskets.

I believe I still have a good front gasket and I have a few different rear gaskets
I’m surprised that nobody makes reproductions. Wow

Andy Burnbaum had them. It's the same gasket for quite a few years. You're not going to get a gasket in an oval. It comes in a roll. You just tell them how many feet you need. The seam goes on top. It will require sealant on installation.
You guys give up to easy.
What do I know, I've been doing mopars for 60 years. I drove a 62 Newpie when it was almost new.

Any of those “buy by the foot” gaskets suck. You’re better off buying a good original that’s actually molded to fit the corners and work properly.

Gee I didn't have any problem with my glass when I installed mine. Doesn't leak either. It's the same contour as the formed gasket. You're just paying for the two ends being glued together. What's the difference? Us engineers make things easier I guess. I've restored 3 cars so far, two with rolled gaskets. Maybe I have better technique?

You're never going to find a preformed gasket.

Gee I didn't have any problem with my glass when I installed mine. Doesn't leak either. It's the same contour as the formed gasket. You're just paying for the two ends being glued together. What's the difference? Us engineers make things easier I guess. I've restored 3 cars so far, two with rolled gaskets. Maybe I have better technique?

You're never going to find a preformed gasket.

It doesn’t matter because you can’t even get a roll of gasket or a reproduction molded one. So it’s a moot point.

But what’s the difference? The original is molded to sit right in the windshield frame. There’s no glueing or risk of the joint failing or bunching of the rubber in corners. Yes the engineers got it right and made it easy when they designed the original.

The “Buy by the foot” that was offered for 1957-1959 MoPar was absolute trash and I’ve had to replaced people’s attempts at new gaskets with good originals many times.

And you can get original gaskets all day long. Plenty of parts cars still out there. I have several gaskets myself.

And there are thousands and thousands of these cars made with the exact gasket you need. Doesn’t matter what body style… all the front windshield gaskets are the same.

1960-1961 Plymouth (full size)
1960-1961 Dodge (Full size)
1962-1964 Dodge 880
1960-1961 DeSoto
1960-1964 Chrysler

G'Day People,
I Have Given This Advice Before But Hopefully It Might be Helpful to Repeat It
Many Years Ago I Worked Briefly For a Wind Screen Fella with Years of Experience
Hiis Advice How to Save an Old Windscreen Rubber was to Use Glycerine
Massage Gently into the Rubber And NOT a Little!
Keep Massaging Until the Rubber Softens. (Can Take Quite a Few Repeats, But if You Can't Buy a Replacement?)
Do Not Under ANY Circumstances use any Petroleum Products as These Will Cause the Rubber to Swell.
(AS WITH ALL ADVICE TRY A SMALL AREA OR A PIECE OF SCRAP TO ENSURE PRODUCT IS SUITABLE FOR INTENDED PURPOSE!)
I Only Say This as a Caution as I Have Never Received a Negative Report.
But It Should be Standard Practice with ALL Advice to Check before Use.
Any way Hope This Helps!
All the Best!
Tony.M

Back