1964 300 Instrument Cluster Gauge Problem!

E-Ticket

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe a ground issue somewhere but thought I would ask because we are not finding any "obvious" grounding issues.

Everything was working fine until recently on this 1964 Chrysler 300. Now all the gauges slowly peg out to the right and stay there. The gauges read over charge, full and hot.

Anyone experience anything like this in any of your vehicles??

Here is what the cluster we have looks like. It's a bit different than the one listed in the link.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

I had a similar problem for my 64 New Yorker wagon. I brought 2 new circuit boards last year at Carlisle. The solved the problem..... for awhile then my gauges failed again. By accident I giggled the ignition switch with the key in the ignition and in the car running and the gauges worked! I've had it happen to me twice since then and I just giggle the ignition switch and the gauges work! Someday I will check out my ignition switch. The problem I have now is my instrument and headlights flicker at idle and high rpm. I put in a new alternator and I still have the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks

It sounds like your Voltage regulator for the charge circuit is pulsing at low rpm's.

If it is the original you might want to replace it with an electronic unit that looks OEM or
upgrade if you have the updated Alternator to the 2 wire electronic regulator

Last edited:
Back