1964 Chrysler Canadian Paint Code PP

angus66

Reaction score
I need some help guys, I am trying to track down a paint color for my Canadian 64 New Yorker. I had a paint code match on PP and PP-1 from a dodge book from 1965, and it was a "Ruby Red" - it's not the color. At this point, I believe that there are specific Canadian Paint codes for Chrysler for, at least, 1964. I believe some "Foward Look" guys have been through this as I found some content on someone going through this same search in 2006 but the forum looks to be incomplete and now archived. I'd like to go back to the shop who mixed the color with the right code when I take the paint back. I believe someone on here has to have a lead on this. Any help will be very much appreciated.

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

PP is definitely ruby, but your car looks like its closer to TT which 1 name for it is roman red poly ( poly means metallic).
get a paint shop to scan your car's paint and they will come up with the formula.
it will take less than a minute.

PP is definitely ruby, but your car looks like its closer to TT which 1 name for it is roman red poly ( poly means metallic).
get a paint shop to scan your car's paint and they will come up with the formula.
it will take less than a minute.

Any chance they can come to me? JK. I have a place chasing down the formula for the "T" AKA "Dark Roman Red" as after a lot of research that seems to be the color. If it's close I'll use it on the firewall and keep the search going before I paint the rest of the car. getting a part scanned is always an option - but I'd also like to solve this mystery. The only other 64 New Yorker 2-door body plate I've seen had a paint code of "GG" - G being another color missing from the '64 Chrysler paint ref. Maybe it has something to do with metallics, being Canadian only models. There have to be some Canucks on here that have been through this. This can't be the first time this has come up. Thanks for the reply marko.
IMG_4244.JPG

Any chance they can come to me? JK. I have a place chasing down the formula for the "T" AKA "Dark Roman Red" as after a lot of research that seems to be the color. If it's close I'll use it on the firewall and keep the search going before I paint the rest of the car. getting a part scanned is always an option - but I'd also like to solve this mystery. The only other 64 New Yorker 2-door body plate I've seen had a paint code of "GG" - G being another color missing from the '64 Chrysler paint ref. Maybe it has something to do with metallics, being Canadian only models. There have to be some Canucks on here that have been through this. This can't be the first time this has come up. Thanks for the reply marko.
View attachment 315905
Actually the parts store I most often frequent does indeed have a portable comparator and I've known them to go to the car to check - although typically an autobody shop.

Here's my 1964 New Yorker in Roman Red (TT9). It's not Canadian, but I submit the example anyway. I believe the paint is original.
64NYLR.JPG
Code Plate.JPG

t roman red irid (met) for 64 chry , that panel you had in the pic looks like 63 chry p festival red . there is no p code in my rm paint book in 64 chry it has t roman red irid and r royal ruby irid . both colors were used on imp's n chry's .

I'm starting to believe it's a Poly/Metallic - that's for sure... Greg's car makes me less certain about Roman.

Chrysler Canada paint colours / codes differed from the U.S from the late 1920's until 1965. 1966 colours were basically the same as US, but some codes were different. Chrysler Canada began building their own bodies after GM decided Fisher Bodies would not longer do work for non-GM companies in 1927. So, Chrysler Canada acquired one of Fisher Bodies' Windsor plants and started building their own bodies.

Anyway, 1964 PP Red Maple Metallic was a US colour, and was used on 1964 Plymouths, code TT, Signet Red Metallic.

Ii you are ever tracking down a specific colour, the best code to use is the colour manufacturers' codes. Car manufactucturers change colour codes and names all the times, but the colour manufacturers' codes will never change. Unless the colour is dropped or replaced.

In the case of Chrysler Canada and its Red Maple Metallic, Ditzler's paint code is 71355. That number was also for the 1964 Plymouth Signet Royal Red Metallic. In 1965 the colour was called Sumac Red Metallic , also PP, for Chrysler Canada.

1964 Chrysler Canada. GG was "Aqua" (Aquamarine). The Ditzler code was 12736 and was also used on US 1964 Dodge, 880 and Valiant.

For Chrysler of Canada I have their paint codes and descriptive paint names, plus most paint manutacturers' codes, from 1934. Should also advise that the truck colours were unique from the car colours into the 1960's. For Paint colour chips, I have nothing earlier than 1937, and am missing 1942, 1951, 1952, and 1953. Plus a few individual chips here and there.

Any questions, please fee free to ask.

bill watson , do you have paint chips on the pickups as well ? in that i just purchased a 61 d series pickup , and there are no paint codes on the pickup it self that i can find . but its a solid green on the interior still , and i was just wounding if you had the info to help me dial it in . its not bell green my color chip book only goes back to 64 on the dodge line of trucks . as you can see its got a repaint on the exterior . maybe a polish area and a better pic too . you can pm if you like .
DSC01121.JPG

Bill Watson - you are the man. I knew there was a guy like you out there somewhere - I just had to be patient. Thank you very much sir I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to this thread that information is priceless.

bill watson , do you have paint chips on the pickups as well ? in that i just purchased a 61 d series pickup , and there are no paint codes on the pickup it self that i can find . but its a solid green on the interior still , and i was just wounding if you had the info to help me dial it in . its not bell green my color chip book only goes back to 64 on the dodge line of trucks . as you can see its got a repaint on the exterior . maybe a polish area and a better pic too . you can pm if you like . View attachment 315981

The 1961 colour codes are :
A - Black
B - Marlin Blue
D - Pine Green
E - Nile Green
F - Mustang Green
H - Omaha Orange
K - Sand Dune White
R - Cuban Red
S - Desert Turquoise
T - Buckskin Tan

If you check your 1964 book you should find all the above colours included for 1964. They were all used 1961 to 1965, with some colours added over the years.

Any problems let me know.

By the way, what years does you book cover and what paint company printed it?

71355 "1964-1966" Signet Red Poly" - Perfect - Thanks again, Bill.

IMG_4278.JPG

I'm resurecting an old thread with the hopes that Bill Watson or somebody can help me out with the modern manufacturer paint code for 1965 E Huron Blue Metallic. CIL code 2352-2283.

I'm resurecting an old thread with the hopes that Bill Watson or somebody can help me out with the modern manufacturer paint code for 1965 E Huron Blue Metallic. CIL code 2352-2283.

Huron Blue Metallic (CIL - 2352-2283) was used by Chrysler of Canada, code EE, in 1965 and also in 1964, code EE. The colour was called Nassau Blue Metallic 1964.

The Ditzler code for this colour was DQE-12656. As the Ditzler code has five digits, the colour is actually an American code. Plymouth, Dodge, Valiant, and Dart, but not 880, used this colour under the name of Medium Blue Poly, code DD. The Chrysler corporate code was VAE-286.

Enamel codes used by paint companies for this shade -
Acme - 22-9288
Canadian Industries Limited (CIL) - 2352-2283
Ditzler / Canadian Pittsburgh Industries - DQE-12656
DuPont - Dulux - 181-96943
DuPont (Canada) - DUM-979
Rinshed Mason - A-1669
Sherwin-Williams - Opex JO-JA-8665

Hope this helps.

1964 Chrysler Corp USA - Acme - 01.jpg

Wow Bill, helps immensely, exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much.

IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Thanks for getting this topic rolling Angus, my '64's paint code is NN. The car is a Canadian build and a possible repaint, it looks suspiciously like the N code from the 1965 CIL chart that Bill Watson has posted. Bill can you shed any light on my '64 NN paint code? Also wondering if Chrysler had a build plant in Vancouver, for some reason I believe that where this New Yorker was produced.....thanks for any and all help : )

Back