1964 Chrysler Imperial PS pulley

Invictus858

Reaction score
All, thank you in advance for reading and responding. My 16 year old son is trying to restore this classic and has run into a snag, so I'm trying to lend a hand. His PS pump pulley needs to be removed and possibly replaced (if we can find one). See the pictures, it has a dent in it and the thing looks pretty rusted, I am not sure a pulley puller and even some heat will make this sucker budge - any advice is greatly appreciated and if you know where I could find a replacement, even better.

IMG-2637.jpg

IMG-2638.jpg

I'd be careful heating this since it's attached to the pump. Maybe try soaking it with penetrating oil for a few days. That dent could probably be straightened out with vice grips to the point where it would work, but it wouldn't look good. I don't know for certain but since there's a groove in the shaft it might mean that the pulley is threaded on.

Holy cow, it never occurred to me that the pulley could be threaded, how the heck would I remove then? That might not even matter, because the shaft on the replacement pump, is not threaded - in that case I guess I need to find a new pulley?

Holy cow, it never occurred to me that the pulley could be threaded, how the heck would I remove then? That might not even matter, because the shaft on the replacement pump, is not threaded - in that case I guess I need to find a new pulley?
What you want to do is get a "Factory Service Manual", usually abbreviated here as "FSM".

You can download a '64 Chrysler version here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

Grab a '64 part manual while you're there... They come in real handy.

And it's great you are helping your son with this!!

BTW, that pulley is pressed on. (I even double checked LOL) and I wouldn't be surprised if it has bent a bit too and that might cause some wobble.

Here's a replacement (double check this) that apparently is gold plated under the black paint. 1961-66 Mopar 361 383 426 440 used TRW Power Steering Pump slotted shaft pulley | eBay

I'd try to straighten it first, and advertise here for a replacement if that didn't work out, but that's a slightly expensive alternative if push comes to shove. It may even be cheaper to find a complete pump with pulley and use the pulley on the new one.

Back