1964 Imperial dual AC line routing

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I'm putting back in the dual ac system in my car. When I bought it, it had all of the ac lines missing and some of the ac parts too.

I need an idea of how the lines would have gone to the back of the car. Did it go through the cabin? Or run by the frame? It's been a very confusing journey to figure out how to fix the ac!

It runs along the frame rail on the passenger side of the car. I will try to get you some pictures in the morning.

Should be some illustrations in the FSM, as I recall? Check TxDon's thread on his '66 Monaco wagon for a souce of DIY a/c tubing and such, for good measure.

Should be some illustrations in the FSM, as I recall? Check TxDon's thread on his '66 Monaco wagon for a souce of DIY a/c tubing and such, for good measure.
Hey thank you for the suggestion! I did look him up and I definitely can see where I'll need to start looking for different changes!

This sounds like a fun project. Be sure and document your progress and post photos along the way. Do you think you have everything you need?

This sounds like a fun project. Be sure and document your progress and post photos along the way. Do you think you have everything you need?
I definitely will! So far I think I do but I just posted another post in the ac tech forum. I ordered my ac condenser over the winter to start this project now... well it's way wider than the the radiator hole... I'm not sure what to do lol

Here are some photos I took that I hope will help. Sorry about the quality of a few. The first 3 show the routing through the engine bay down to the passenger side frame rail. The next 3 show the position down the frame rail and the last 3 show the transition into the trunk and the attachment to the rear AC unit. Let me know if you have questions.

Engine Bay #2.jpg

Engine Bay #3.jpg

Front hose - line from engine bay.jpg

Midcar attachement point (damaged).jpg

Attachment point #2.jpg

Rear hose - line transiton..jpg

Grommet into Trunk from front.jpg

Grommet into Trunk.jpg

Connections to rear unit.jpg

Here are some photos I took that I hope will help. Sorry about the quality of a few. The first 3 show the routing through the engine bay down to the passenger side frame rail. The next 3 show the position down the frame rail and the last 3 show the transition into the trunk and the attachment to the rear AC unit. Let me know if you have questions.

View attachment 544261

View attachment 544262

View attachment 544263

View attachment 544264

View attachment 544265

View attachment 544266

View attachment 544267

View attachment 544268

View attachment 544269
Thank you so much! This definitely helped me! That's exactly what I needed!

It will help me too as I've owned my 1965 LeBaron for decades (since 1972) before I noticed that one or maybe both of the lines are reversed. That is, the end that should go into the trunk appears to be under the hood and vise versa!

Back