1964 rear end swap

I’ve built a trailer with it and haven’t had any issues with the welds so far.
if you want to try it , go for it. those perches don't need a lot. the real work of holding the housing in is done by the u-bolts.
I was thinking that could be an option
me too. might have to clearance the perches for the outside u-bolts but that's it. it's a good suggestion. have you considered redrilling the imperial axles for the smaller bolt pattern? is the centering hub size the same?

have you considered redrilling the imperial axles for the smaller bolt pattern? is the centering hub size the same?
I bought the axle housing without the axles since he had a set of c body axles to go with it.

never spread the spring apart or pull them together either , they will bind up in the travel . that 72 rear drums is a great solution , i'm going with 75 imp disc rears on my 64 300k and well on the front i plan on using the spindles and disc package from the 75 as well .

never spread the spring apart or pull them together either , they will bind up in the travel . that 72 rear drums is a great solution , i'm going with 75 imp disc rears on my 64 300k and well on the front i plan on using the spindles and disc package from the 75 as well .

I will look at the 75 IMP for my rear, thank you.
I used 87 Fifth Avenue spindles, rotors and calipers on the front of the 64C. Minor turn-stop trimming needed.

I will look at the 75 IMP for my rear, thank you.
I used 87 Fifth Avenue spindles, rotors and calipers on the front of the 64C. Minor turn-stop trimming needed.
For the front conversion, it’s just straight bolt on minus the trimming to the turn stops? Is the geometry the same still or are the spindles a lot different?

For the front conversion, it’s just straight bolt on minus the trimming to the turn stops? Is the geometry the same still or are the spindles a lot different?
Straight bolt on, Ackerman stayed the same as far as I can tell. No concessions.
Also trimmed the toe sleeves length a very little amount.
I found it here and other places on the net. You will to.

And the 64 likes the big, finned rear 72 drums on the rear. I ran them on the front as well, worked good. 4 new unobtanium drums for $200 to the door. Can you say, backflips?

That and the 67 twin well master cylinder, along with the 2001 Buick LeSabra front leather seats that have the lap/ shoulder belts and head support as part of the seat gave me the courage to venture out into the wild.

Desperately seeking DR Airbag.

okay , the 75 imps are 11,75 , i like your idea of 72 chrysler rear drums , used them on a modified dana 60 in a 70 dart more door , customer wants to run his stock wheel covers , that's a 14''cover and we made some 15x8's for the rear of the car since there is a hp440 under the hood we needed to get some tire on the rear , so i built some custom rims so we could run his covers on the car . and because he choose the 4'' bolt pattern we used the 14'' rim centers and the part that holds the wheel covers off and made our own rims .

DSC00096.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

DSC00102.JPG

yes that's a tight fit , did the same rim bands on my 69 dart gt very tight on the springs , but never an issues even on a twisty road through the mountains .

DSC03650.JPG

DSC03651.JPG

DSC07070.JPG

Hm, might be a good excuse to upgrade my welder, i just have a Hobart handler 140. I’ve built a trailer with it and haven’t had any issues with the welds so far.
My Miller 140 will handle that with ease and has been for years.

okay , the 75 imps are 11,75 , i like your idea of 72 chrysler rear drums , used them on a modified dana 60 in a 70 dart more door , customer wants to run his stock wheel covers , that's a 14''cover and we made some 15x8's for the rear of the car since there is a hp440 under the hood we needed to get some tire on the rear , so i built some custom rims so we could run his covers on the car . and because he choose the 4'' bolt pattern we used the 14'' rim centers and the part that holds the wheel covers off and made our own rims .

View attachment 613971

View attachment 613972

View attachment 613973

View attachment 613974

View attachment 613975

View attachment 613976

Nice job on the wheels.
I'll try the 75 Imperial front brakes if the 87 5TH Ave brakes don't get it done. But I'll wait till you get it sorted for use. Calipers and rotors are plenty available for the 75 Imperial. No many $ either one.

My 64 has threaded lower ball joint. Don't know if pressed lower works.

I now have a pair of 69 C body axles. I'm going to try and use them in the 64 full size axle housing that's in the 64 New Yorker with the 69 C roller bearings and adjuster. I think they will work all the way back to 64 open and sure-grip. But not the 63 open rear. But will work in 63 sure-grip. Because of the difference in the carrier pressure/thrust block thickness.
It's confusing, but.....
Mine 69 axles may each be about a 1/16 inch too long. That can be allowed for in the right-side adjuster, but the right axle shaft would be too far to the right, and the brakes might not like that. If that's the only problem, then I'll get an adjuster for the left side also.
If that don't work, then trimming the axles if they are too long, or using as is if they are a little short with the green bearings will.
We will see. Could be lots of flies in the butter milk here.
Don't want green, want roller.

Back