SOLD 1965 - 1969 Mopar C Body Hinge Stop Arm Repair Kit Chrysler Dodge Imperial Plymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in all though, this is a great kit that @danno54 has put together.

If anyone has a secret to replacing that hold open comb, let us know!
If you get the comb out, you might be able to re-countour the stops with a bench grinder, die grinder, etc.
Although the new roller is heat-treated, it would still be a good idea to smooth the grinding with a high-speed flap wheel (for smoother operation).
Re-contouring might cause the spring to be a little too long, though?

They are back in stock. The new springs I was waiting for are an excellent match to the original and work beautifully.

Following - with 6 doors to do it on, the cost for the kits adds up! Currently the only door that really needs it done on is the driver's door on the 66 T&C...

Reinstalling the spring was the easiest park (for me). Didn’t need to do anything special to try and get it to fit into the hinge or over the hood open comb.

All seems to fit together nicely.

View attachment 600115

But! When I went to test it all…. Nada! The door doesn’t hold open. Everything moves as expected. I see the spring flex in position 1 and 2, but the door still closes. Me think the bumps on the comb are worn down to smooth little nubs. Fixing that doesn’t not look like something that can be done with the door on. :BangHead:
Having the same problem after I changed the roller and pin, so the comb must be worn down.... :-(

Having the same problem after I changed the roller and pin, so the comb must be worn down.... :-(
@danno54 was kind enough to send me some different springs (the ones he mentions above). I have not found the time to install them yet, but they are a bit shorter than the first set which I think will do the trick. I won’t be taking out that comb if it doesn’t. I will just live with a door that doesn’t hold itself open.

@danno54 was kind enough to send me some different springs (the ones he mentions above). I have not found the time to install them yet, but they are a bit shorter than the first set which I think will do the trick. I won’t be taking out that comb if it doesn’t. I will just live with a door that doesn’t hold itself open.
Let us know the outcome...

Good news! It was the spring after all. As mentioned above, @danno54 sent me the updated springs. They are much stronger than the first set. Needed to pre stretch it with some coins (thin smooth washers would have been better). Use a bench vice to clamp one end and bend the other end down with pliers. Slip the coins/washers in the gaps of the spring.
IMG_4658.jpeg

IMG_4659.jpeg

Once the spring is seated, close it slightly and watch for the comb to engaged the roller (the spring will flex) then yank the coins out of the gaps…. This is where I realized smooth washers would have been better.
IMG_4660.jpeg

IMG_4661.jpeg

Voila! Door now holds open in both positions. Thank you @danno54 for making these parts. I didn’t even know I needed to do this project until your post.

IMG_4662.jpeg

IMG_4663.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back