1965 Dodge 383 Fuel Boiling

65Polara383

Reaction score
When the engine gets hot it will start to bog down under acceleration. When I open the hood, I can see the fuel bubbling inside my fuel filter. As this is happening, the fuel level visible inside the filter is also dropping.

What is the best solution here? A bigger fuel pump to keep the lines pressurized, or heat shielding?

Where is the fuel filter located? Close to a heat source? Maybe that boiling is really air moving around in the line. How about a pic? Maybe we'll see something else.

The fuel filter is in front of the motor right up against the engine block, I will post a picture of its location tomorrow.

The fuel filter is in front of the motor right up against the engine block, I will post a picture of its location tomorrow.
It was never an issue when gas was higher quality. Now days the puppy pee gas is refined for closed, fuel injected systems. Insulating the carb and fuel lines helps some issues. A fuel system with a filter with a fuel return to the tank amy help. Your see through filter is good and bad. They can be dangerous because they are see through plastic. I use the metal can filters myself.

You might also want to check to be sure the heat riser is not stuck shut, this overheats the intake manifold and carb.

Dave

If ethanol'd fuels are allegedly the main issue here, why am I not seeing similar posts in the GM larger car forums? Cars which had vapor lock issues in 90 F degree weather, for example.

To me, there's something else involved here. Especially if the OP really is seeing black smoke from the exhaust above the stated 3500rpm with a new AVS2 and Pertronix ignition system.

Now, the car allegedly has "boiling fuel" in the clear plastic fuel filter? With no mention of engine overheating in the current weather patterns.

Not everything's lining up here, to me. Perhaps it's just Halloween Season?

CBODY67

I've had a bit of that trouble, but only when restarting after the engine is hot, as in warm days, after a short errand. For a short while the idle is feeble, too. Tends to stall when pulling out into traffic, which has gotten real interesting. I figure the gas is boiling in the carb. The answer seems to be idle for a bit.

I've had a bit of that trouble, but only when restarting after the engine is hot, as in warm days, after a short errand. For a short while the idle is feeble, too. Tends to stall when pulling out into traffic, which has gotten real interesting. I figure the gas is boiling in the carb. The answer seems to be idle for a bit.
A fuel return system should help the running issue. Insulating the carb base with a thick gasket can help the hot soak/hard starting issue. There are a lot of issues with excessive cranking after setting for a week. That is caused by fuel evaporation as well. A small electric charge pump and a momentary switch helps that issue.

I believe to have gotten the problem sorted out.

I rerouted the fuel line away from any heat sources and the issue seems to have disappeared, as for the black smoke, that was fixed by the idle mixture adjustment I mentioned in my previous thread.

I have been unable to really test this solution though since my brake light switch failed this morning.

Thanks to everyone for the help they have provided, I should have tried rerouting the line before posting though since it was a quick and simple fix for the problem.

I believe to have gotten the problem sorted out.

I rerouted the fuel line away from any heat sources and the issue seems to have disappeared, as for the black smoke, that was fixed by the idle mixture adjustment I mentioned in my previous thread.

I have been unable to really test this solution though since my brake light switch failed this morning.

Thanks to everyone for the help they have provided, I should have tried rerouting the line before posting though since it was a quick and simple fix for the problem.
Good to hear.

A fuel return system should help the running issue. Insulating the carb base with a thick gasket can help the hot soak/hard starting issue. There are a lot of issues with excessive cranking after setting for a week. That is caused by fuel evaporation as well. A small electric charge pump and a momentary switch helps that issue.
Put one in myself just to save the battery at first, then as a backup to the mechanical that sort of pushes fuel most of the time... :) Separate, insulated fuel line from the back, added check valves so that each pump is not pushing the other! Good on ya to mention.

Back