1965 Dodge Custom 880 help

DodgeCustom880

Reaction score
Hello we purchased a 1965 Dodge Custom 880 a few months ago. Well we took it out for a ride yesterday and experienced something I’ve never experienced before. I was driving normally through town about 30 mph all of a sudden we heard a pinging knock and the car just died! I opened the hood and noticed smoke coming out of the carburetor and the stud bolt was missing. We had the car towed home, I didn’t want to risk causing more damage. Today I took the carb and intake off. Anyone ever experience this or have advice suggestions on what I should do now or what I should be looking for?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well we found this so far. One the the bolts was completely out but not stripped. Could it have rattled out?

1D1BCF53-F684-4F06-AF04-20AD080F6941.jpeg

BBDAF5FD-0400-4A5F-B3B5-F8728416E942.jpeg

FB146AEC-5F28-446A-AB95-75913972E636.jpeg

well bent pushrod , bent rocker , bar broken hold down , now pull the head and see what damage is hidden . valves and piston ? hope it didn't screw up the cylinder . my 65 880 rag is awaiting a power train build . is it still a 383 or ?

DSC08125.JPG

DSC08184.JPG

The rocker shaft broke after the retaining nut and retaining half moon came off, probably was not tightened up properly after a valve job or the half moon failed and the nut worked loose. You have aftermarket valve hardware and some of that stuff is of ChiCom manufacture and is prone to failure because of poor workmanship and quality control. As you have already had a failure, you should consider new rocker shafts and mounting hardware. You would also want to remove the spark plug from the cylinder above the shaft break and take a bore scope to check and see that you do not have any broken valves on that cylinder.

Dave

pull the plus drop the header remove the head . there is more damage . i would say something held the valve from closing on the intake side of that cylinder and id still there . and the piston hit the open valve and bent it , i sure the piston was hurt by the impact . how much is yet tobe seen .

Back