1965 Dodge Monaco Fuel System Saga-Part 1

One last bit of advice
Do not paint the neck unless it’s impervious to gasoline....

If they are the ones in the picture that you posted, then, yes, they are self-locking. I can see the dimples in them in the picture.

Thank You. Guess I never realized that's exact what the dimples meant. So, it seems like Van's did me right in the getting the correct J-Bolts. Awesome!

If it doesn't want to slide on just put a little brake assy. lube on it. I've never seen any that had any kind of sealer on it.

That's a great thought. I had thought about regular old Vasoline, but brake assy lube is a great idea.

One last bit of advice

The filler tube question was another one I had on my mind as well, just hadn't asked. It's a mess with rust deposits on the inside. The outside is fine and I already cleaned it up. I can't really clean the inside well with a wire brush or die grinder because it's small circular dimensions. I had thought about maybe a Dremel with a long extension or something. Try and clean it up the best I can and hope it's good enough.

One last bit of advice

20180416_182305.jpg

20180416_182318.jpg

Man thanks for this. Hopefully when I need a new tank I will remember all of this.....

Glad to be of help. Honestly a year ago, nobody could have convinced me that I would need a new fuel tank, lines, or a carb rebuild. Though it sneaks up on you quickly, especially with Ethanol.

I suggest that you use electric tape and wrap up the outside real good
Then get some acid magic and dip it over night
That rust will be gone inside but may leak if it penetrates the tube
An alternative is to get it cleaned and dipped at the rad shop where they repair and seal tanks
Should not be much$$$

This is some wonderful advice and I appreciate it greatly. I've never used acid magic, but honestly considered the Bar Keepers Friend/Comet type of cleaner. I also thought about a bead blaster, but doubt it would get inside well enough. The radiator shop idea is the best I've heard anyone mention and I really think I'm going to try and go that route. Great idea! I truly appreciate the help.

I'll keep you updated! This weekend I'm going to tackle as much more as I can. I'm getting really close. Fuel lines are in, just need to get them connected (rubber hose/clamps) and the tank together.

I want to get this car started and check for any leaks.

Not to switch up the conversation and start a debate..........

I know there are multiple other forum posts on this topic already.

I had previously always ran 93 Octane in this car with good success and a lead additive (motor/heads never been rebuilt). It's hard to find true ethanol free gas near me. With a new tank, lines, and carb rebuild. What thoughts do other members have on fuel?

Also, near me I have a SUNOCO station which sells 108 Octane Leaded gas. Yes, I said leaded gas! I toyed around with the idea of mixing in a gallon or so from time to time. Doubt it would hurt anything. That stuff is $8.50 a gallon right now.

THANKS for that great documentation of your project! LOTS of great details that might otherwise be missed!

I've been looking at the CR20_ tank for my cars. I believe it actually goes up to the '73 Chrysler non-wagon application, with the differences being the number of vent tubes, as I recall. On your '65 tank, what is the difference in it and the CR20_ tank you got? The straps, etc.? Just curious.

Thanks, again!
CBODY67

On your '65 tank, what is the difference in it and the CR20_ tank you got? The straps, etc.? Just curious.

Thanks, again!
CBODY67
The shape is different, and I think the straps are different, and the CR20 holds 23 gallons, the '65 tank holds 25 gallons.
Didn't someone on here say that they had talked to Spectra, or somebody, and they said that they were going to be making '65 Dodge C-body tanks starting late last year, or sometime this year?

Not to switch up the conversation and start a debate..........

I know there are multiple other forum posts on this topic already.

I had previously always ran 93 Octane in this car with good success and a lead additive (motor/heads never been rebuilt). It's hard to find true ethanol free gas near me. With a new tank, lines, and carb rebuild. What thoughts do other members have on fuel?

Also, near me I have a SUNOCO station which sells 108 Octane Leaded gas. Yes, I said leaded gas! I toyed around with the idea of mixing in a gallon or so from time to time. Doubt it would hurt anything. That stuff is $8.50 a gallon right now.
Nice thread... look for the ethanol free, I even considered buying by the drum at one point. Wawa started opening stores locally, and I have been using their non-ethanol 89 for a while now... they premium the stuff about $.50 over the 87... and I can stomach that to be rid of the evil.

The leaded fuel won't hurt any car W/O a catalyst or O2 sensor... @ 108 octane, you might find an improved result if you blend it consistently with lower octane ethanol free. The common trick when leaded was still available, was 50% 89 leaded + 50% 93 unleaded = approx 98 octane.

The issue with a blend, is if you choose to tune to it, you have to continue to make certain that you only run the blend. Otherwise, you'll likely find you need to retard timing to run pump fuel again. If you just add, but not tune, you won't likely find much improvement.

Lead also made the snow next to the curb taste better... just avoid the yellow stuff. :lol:

The shape is different, and I think the straps are different, and the CR20 holds 23 gallons, the '65 tank holds 25 gallons.
Didn't someone on here say that they had talked to Spectra, or somebody, and they said that they were going to be making '65 Dodge C-body tanks starting late last year, or sometime this year?
I seem to recall the Spectra tank will be out this fall. I will probably be doing the same project as the o.p. soon.

THANKS for that great documentation of your project! LOTS of great details that might otherwise be missed!

I've been looking at the CR20_ tank for my cars. I believe it actually goes up to the '73 Chrysler non-wagon application, with the differences being the number of vent tubes, as I recall. On your '65 tank, what is the difference in it and the CR20_ tank you got? The straps, etc.? Just curious.

Thanks, again!
CBODY67

CBODY67, (Joeharley01) had a great post on the dimension actual differences. This thread is a wonderful reference for comparison. He had measurements and everything. Honestly, I haven't put up the new tank yet. Hope to this weekend (maybe). I know the tank is longer and that's why I bought the tank specific straps. Besides the old tank straps were undercoated to the tank and in rough shape. Hope this link helps.

WANTED - gas tank for 1965 Dodge Monaco

Nice thread... look for the ethanol free, I even considered buying by the drum at one point. Wawa started opening stores locally, and I have been using their non-ethanol 89 for a while now... they premium the stuff about $.50 over the 87... and I can stomach that to be rid of the evil.

The leaded fuel won't hurt any car W/O a catalyst or O2 sensor... @ 108 octane, you might find an improved result if you blend it consistently with lower octane ethanol free. The common trick when leaded was still available, was 50% 89 leaded + 50% 93 unleaded = approx 98 octane.

The issue with a blend, is if you choose to tune to it, you have to continue to make certain that you only run the blend. Otherwise, you'll likely find you need to retard timing to run pump fuel again. If you just add, but not tune, you won't likely find much improvement.

Lead also made the snow next to the curb taste better... just avoid the yellow stuff. :lol:

Thanks (cantflip). This is some wonderful advice. By the way, I went by the SUNOCO station today and stand corrected. It is 112 Octane Leaded and right now is $8.88 per gallon. When I get my tank back up, I would still love to try mixing this with some ethanol free as you mentioned. I am going to look around and see if I can find some gas stations within suitable driving distance where I can find ethanol free. I don't mind spending the extra money. The way I feel about things is that if I spent the money and long cold nights laying on a garage floor to get this problem corrected, I'm never cheap out on this car ever again.

I'll watch out for the neighborhood kids eating any flavored snow.

In Niagara Falls, NY the local Delta Sonic stations have the non-ethanol 93 octane. Can't remember the price but I treated my Polara to a tank full a few years back & it enjoyed every drop of it. :lol:

I was over at the Indy Trade Show about a month ago . . . spoke to the guy from Van's. He told me that 65 Dodge tanks would be available late this summer (I think he said they were hoping in time for the Nats, in August). Not sure if they get their tanks from Spectra, or somewhere else???

Back