1965 Dodge Monaco Fuel System Saga-Part 1

I was over at the Indy Trade Show about a month ago . . . spoke to the guy from Van's. He told me that 65 Dodge tanks would be available late this summer (I think he said they were hoping in time for the Nats, in August). Not sure if they get their tanks from Spectra, or somewhere else???
That would be great, maybe they'll be stainless steel too.

How different are the '66 Polara/Monaco gas tanks from the '65?

Just didn't know if anything major had changed between years?

I have a few gas stations around my area with noneytonol gas, if you have a lake near you check out marinas and stations near boating areas most boaters avoid Obama gas like the plague.

Get yourself a small tube of "O" ring grease from hardware store or plumbing supply it will last for years since you don't use much.safe on anything rubber won't rot it out and makes assembly and more importantly disassembly easier such as sparkplug boot grease is similar product . I never put anything together dry since I maybe taking it back apart sooner or later.

If you straighten out a wire coathanger and wrap it around a scotchbrite pad on your hand drill you can polish up that fill neck easy then blow it out and rinse it with solvent Pow Bobs yer Uncle.

If you straighten out a wire coathanger and wrap it around a scotchbrite pad on your hand drill you can polish up that fill neck easy then blow it out and rinse it with solvent Pow Bobs yer Uncle.
I will give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Fuel pump and all the lines finally finished this weekend. Any thoughts on adding a fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb? Really want to add a fuel filter somewhere. Don't think the tank filter sock is enough. Spent the time and money, and want to keep everything clean.

This is out of the '66 service manual, but '65 is the same.
filter.PNG

This is out of the '66 service manual, but '65 is the same.
View attachment 180908

This is "exactly" what I was looking for! Thank You so very much! I need to fabricate this 2 piece line from pump to carb to include the filter. Have to admit, I hate using rubber fuel hose anywhere on my cars but understand this is OEM.

:mad:Update: The Spectrum CR20B fuel tank does not and will not fit in the car. I spent this weekend and part of today trying to make it fit. So now I'm out $300.00 dollars and stuck with a new gas tank for a 67-68 Newport and the 65 Monaco is sitting in the garage extremely sad. I on the other hand am Extremely upset about this! DO NOT believe everything people would lead you to believe. The extra 2 inches in length front to back does matter. So now I have to weigh my options and see what the next step is.

Anybody need a 67-68 Newport tank lol. Got a brand new ones till in the box with a new tank pad.

:mad:Update: The Spectrum CR20B fuel tank does not and will not fit in the car. I spent this weekend and part of today trying to make it fit. So now I'm out $300.00 dollars and stuck with a new gas tank for a 67-68 Newport and the 65 Monaco is sitting in the garage extremely sad. I on the other hand am Extremely upset about this! DO NOT believe everything people would lead you to believe. The extra 2 inches in length front to back does matter. So now I have to weigh my options and see what the next step is.

Anybody need a 67-68 Newport tank lol. Got a brand new ones till in the box with a new tank pad.
Put it in the appropriate "For Sale" section with delivery to Carlisle. You are going, aren't you? Since you live just down the road.

Put it in the appropriate "For Sale" section with delivery to Carlisle. You are going, aren't you? Since you live just down the road.

Agreed about Carlisle and yes I'll be there. Great idea about how to sell the tank. Thank You. I'm not thinking clearly right now and trying to figure out my next step.

It's tough when you make an investment and it goes south especially if you are on a budget...

I just wanted to confirm as I need a new tank and I have 1965 Monaco as well that the tank doesn’t fit or it’s very tight
Thank you

The Spectrum CR20 B DID NOT fit. Completely wrong and no way to modify to a 65 Monaco. Think it’s a WB difference by just enough.

I ended up buying the 65-66 Monaco specific tank from Vans Auto.

Vansauto.com.

Give them a call. They should be able to help with an exact fit remanufacture tank. Had my installed for a few years now without any issues at all.

Vansauto.com.

Give them a call. They should be able to help with an exact fit remanufacture tank. Had my installed for a few years now without any issues at all.
Little Pete is correct it doesn’t fit properly ( size 10 foot in a size 9 1/2 shoe ) this issue is over CR20B Doesn’t fit properly Vans is the only one!!!

Last edited:
I'm about to start this job on my 65 monaco. Good info here!! Car ran great when I got it. Slowly started getting worse as I replaced fuel filters every few drives. Carb , tank, and lines time!!

Back