1965 Imperial Rear Lights Dilemma

Wile E Coyote

Super Genius
Reaction score
I'm working on the new-to-me 65 Imperial with getting all of the lights working; concentrating on just the rear right now. The local parts store book tells me that there is one type bulb required for both the taillight and the stop light, for a total of 4 bulbs and it calls for a 7528 bulb.
When I look at the taillight sockets, the outer sockets are designed for a bulb type that both guide pins are low on the bulb base, and the inner sockets are designed for a bulb type that has a low guide pin and a higher guide pin like an 1157. Also, the outer sockets have a single point of contact on the base, and the inner sockets have dual points of contact.
I bought the 7528 bulbs and added those to the inner sockets. These dual filament bulbs are 21w/5w. To get the right base bulb for the outer sockets, I used a 7506 bulb that has the lower guide pins and the single point of contact. They work, but they are a 21w bulb so they are too bright and look like brakes are on.
Where I need help:
#1 - has someone changed the outer sockets on this car?
#2 - if they haven't, how do I find a 5w bulb with the single point of contact and the lower guide pins (so they aren't bright like brake lights)?
#3 - What is the difference between the book-called-for 7528 bulbs and 1157 bulbs?
Thanks for the help!
65 Rear.png
BULB A.png
BULB B.png

7528 is a minature version of the 1157.
Dual filament used for parking/directional lamps.
1157 is used in tail light/brake lamps.
Stuff a 1157 into a housing designed for a 7528 and you'll melt the lenses.
Your outer lamps are tail light only only (7506) and your inner lamps are tail light and brake light lamps only (1034).

Last edited:
I replaced 100% of the interior and exterior bulbs in my 67 Chrysler.
Using the FSM, I needed around ten different bulbs!!! Several were no longer available and I had to use ebay vendors with NORS stock.

Back