1965 New Yorker A-727 Park position

65Yorker

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a question about my 65' New Yorker Coupe with the 727 transmission. It's an all numbers matching car and I know it's the original trans. All gears work great, except for the parking. It will go into Park, can tell by change of engine rpm but car will move if on a incline or vise versa / not in Park. There is only 1 cable from the column that goes straight into the trans with the adjustable wheel. Has the box at the rear of the trans but no cable going to it. Can anyone point me into the right direction?
1000004602.jpg

It should have a second cable for park.

First thing I suggest is you get a service manual and maybe a parts manual too. That should show you where it goes and how to adjust. Download both here: MyMopar

These guys have the cables, but I've never done business with them, so I can't say anything one way or the other about them. Imperial Services - C-Body Parts

Yes it needs 2 cables, the park cable goes into the box behind the pan.

So the cable at the link provided is $293. Seems steep. Any chance anyone has a used one available?

So the cable at the link provided is $293. Seems steep. Any chance anyone has a used one available?
Post an ad in the wanted section. You never know what guys have.

I think those prices are a bit high too, but I don't know of another vendor selling new cables.

I will, thank you.
I did just find one on eBay a little cheaper but still seems high. The way I see it, I can replace the E brake cables new for less than half that price, then use the e brake all the time. Lol.

I will, thank you.
I did just find one on eBay a little cheaper but still seems high. The way I see it, I can replace the E brake cables new for less than half that price, then use the e brake all the time. Lol.
Just have a couple blocks of wood under the seat as wheel chocks for parking on hills!

:lol:

(been there, done that myself)

Perhaps Murry Park might have a used one? Just REMEMBER two things. One is to not consider a used cable as a "new" cable. Two is to only buy a NOS cable when possible, in Chrysler packaging, as some eBay sellers might be selling NewOldReplacementStock items which might be sourced off-shore.

1965 was the first model year C-body to not have transmission push buttons, as that was the first year for "standardized transmission shifting mechanisms", per Federal safety regulations. Therefore, you are dealing with a one-model year only situation, which is why the prices can be higher, no matter what.

Parking brake cables are much more generic and cover many more model years, so their prices are lower.

In general, there are several things on the 1965 models which make that model year a transitionary model year between the 1964 and prior models and the 1966 and later models. Although the 1966 cars look pretty much the same on the outside. So in theory, you could covert your car to 1966 specs in this area. It would take, at least, a 1966 steering column and the full transmission linkage between the bottom of the steering column and the transmission to do that deal. In theory.

So, make your best decision on getting the cable shift items acquired and installed.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I really appreciate your help, so with the 66' theory, if I can find those parts, will it work with my torqueflite transmission? Or will I need the 66' trans as well?
Perhaps Murry Park might have a used one? Just REMEMBER two things. One is to not consider a used cable as a "new" cable. Two is to only buy a NOS cable when possible, in Chrysler packaging, as some eBay sellers might be selling NewOldReplacementStock items which might be sourced off-shore.

1965 was the first model year C-body to not have transmission push buttons, as that was the first year for "standardized transmission shifting mechanisms", per Federal safety regulations. Therefore, you are dealing with a one-model year only situation, which is why the prices can be higher, no matter what.

Parking brake cables are much more generic and cover many more model years, so their prices are lower.

In general, there are several things on the 1965 models which make that model year a transitionary model year between the 1964 and prior models and the 1966 and later models. Although the 1966 cars look pretty much the same on the outside. So in theory, you could covert your car to 1966 specs in this area. It would take, at least, a 1966 steering column and the full transmission linkage between the bottom of the steering column and the transmission to do that deal. In theory.

So, make your best decision on getting the cable shift items acquired and installed.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

1966 trans doesn’t use cables to shift, it has mechanical linkage. All different. But it will bolt in, same mounts and physical size. Same torque converter.

Hmm, ok. Well I guess my best bet is to get the correct Mopar park cable like CBODY67 Has said. I really want to keep this car as original as possible.
1966 trans doesn’t use cables to shift, it has mechanical linkage. All different. But it will bolt in, same mounts and physical size. Same torque converter.

Yes you can do this. I did it with my 65 Belvedere.I used a 67 Column and all the parts for a column shift 67 to the 727.
I got all the parts from Wild Cat Auto Wrecking but can be sourced from others. I did have a 71 727 already.
I would see what it takes to hook up the proper cable as long as no other parts aren't missing first.Who knows what the other owner did.
It all depends on your budget too.

OK, Haines City....off the dreaded I-4? Well, when you get that cable and want to make a day of it, I have a 4-post lift over here. You're welcome to come over and we can get the car up and install the cable, like civilized mechanics!

Cheers,

Rich

Back