Found 1965 Newport or Other Floor Mats

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I am looking for this striped style floormat. It was in my 1965 Newport but I have seen it in other similar vintage C.

Anyone recognize it? Model Years/Carlines used? Fronts only or front/back? Availability new today as replacements?

I would rather have originals in good condition.

Thanks for a bounce-back in advance from anyone.

Untitled.png

illustration below - mat looks it has shiney stripes - in the 1966 300 brochure from this source: Directory Index: Chrysler_and_Imperial/1966_Chrysler/1966_Chrysler_Brochure

Untitled2.png

1965 300
00-1-2-2-2-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
We talked about this one a few years back but it would take me a day to find the thread. It's sewn to the actual carpet pad. I believe @Zymurgy stated he cut his original one out and glued it to his new carpet pad. Fronts only from what I've seen. Theyre definitely in the 65-66 Newport and 300. Not sure about New Yorker or post 66 cars.

We talked about this one a few years back but it would take me a day to find the thread. It's sewn to the actual carpet pad. I believe @Zymurgy stated he cut his original one out and glued it to his new carpet pad. Fronts only from what I've seen. Theyre definitely in the 65-66 Newport and 300. Not sure about New Yorker or post 66 cars.
I thought about it but never ended up going that route and had custom coco mats made.

thanks @MetalManiacAZ

scholars and gentlemen both of you. I tried several unsophisticated keyword searches and turned nothing up before I made a post looking/with images.

Did we conclude, therefore, that one needs the WHOLE carpet (Front sections if two piece) to get the "stripes", or @Zymurgy your supplier (you have a coco mat source recommendation) just did the rectangular section (which you used like a floormat OVER a new carpet)?

original owner of my 65 Newp had sacrificial mats down, but you can see the original carpet still took a beating.

I did NOT know the stripes were integrated into the OEM carpet. first time I ever recall that design was in my 65 Newport. I though it was aftermarket till I kept seeing them in the "survivor" cars and then factory brochures

My goal is, eight, assuming two per car, and only front seats.

Its starting to appear there NO OEM replacement parts unless someone has a factory OEM NOS kinda thing. That would mean a potential route like zymurgy went, or salvaging what ever I can find (refurbing/dyeing) as needed.

I just started my search .. we dont finish the car until 2024 but I dont wanna wait till then to get something ready. Interior work always later in my resto processes.

:)

I should clarify I totally baled on utilizing the rectangle section completely. I had originally planned on having custom carpet mats made and then inserting them in the mats.

Also you are correct they were only located on the front seats. Something to keep in mind the plastic surrounding the metal was the color of the carpet. So in my case it was a yellow gold color, so to replicate the look dying the plastic would be part of this process. Looks like you probably already realized this.

I believe the one shown is still around in a box after my move. It is used and may not be of the quality you are looking for. You must have a few car projects going if you need 8.

I don't want to discourage you from doing this, but part of my reason not to proceed was I wasn't able to restore the metal portion to a level I was happy with. It is embedded into the plastic so I couldn't work on it properly while it was still attached.

I believe the one shown is still around in a box after my move. It is used and may not be of the quality you are looking for. You must have a few car projects going if you need 8.
I don't want to discourage you from doing this, but part of my reason not to proceed was I wasn't able to restore the metal portion to a level I was happy with. It is embedded into the plastic so I couldn't work on it properly while it was still attached.
gentlemen. thank you.

I have four, 1965(2)-1966(2) slabbies in the fleet.

I only know ONE for sure had these carpet sections cuz it still does. HIGH QUALITY would be desired for ONE, driver quality (refurbed if needed) for the other three is fine.

The '65 I have only seen TWICE since I bought it four years ago. It's in my warehouse - only coming out to get worked on. Two others are there, and one here at my home -- again I do NOT know of those three had this design (I dont even know if itwas an option or not).

One of the '66's MAY be done before the Newp -- it needed MUCH less bodywork.

@Zymurgy this effort may ultimately defeat even my most modest objectives. I trust your judgement, and your '66 surely demands suitable quality given it's exceptional condition.. I am gonna try to take a few swings at it and see what comes up for me.

@haywire 440 if you find your piece and would part with it, just PM me whenever/if you want to move it.

Murray Park and I have been in conversation. He probably has (meaning he has heel mats) what I need for this project. We'll see. My plan is to, as needed, recolor, clean, polish aluminum, etc. and then with contact cement and a cinder-block, attach to three of my slabbies.

009.jpg

we'll see how it goes. thank you to all willing to help and comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back