For Sale 1965 Plymouth Fury /530hp 493 stroker/ 4spd for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis75az

Reaction score
Contact seller
I'm selling my 1965 Plymouth Fury III. I bought this car from California back in 2017. It came with a 383/4spd. My goal was to assemble a powerful cruiser to fit our family of 5. I drove it for a year and pulled the motor/trans last summer. I sold the original 383 on our local Denver, CO. Craigslist to help fund the 440 I wanted.

Fury 1.jpg

I purchased a crate 493 stroker from Chris @ Performance Injection Equipment (PEI) out of Georgetown, Deleware. Molnar forged internals, Comp cam, Edelbrock Perf. RPM alu. heads, TRW forged pistons, 10:3:1 91 octane friendly compression, Torker II intake. PEI ran the motor on their dyno with 530 hp @ 5300 rpm and 580 tq @ 4300 rpm (I have the dyno sheet). The motor was $10,300 and $500 to ship. I have the invoice.

493 DYNO results.jpg

493 motor.jpg

For those familiar with the 1965 model year, the engine block must have provisions for the unique to 65' engine mount bosses. We (PEI & myself) ensured the 440 block does have these provisions and is fully compatible. I also purchased Schumacher 65 C-Body engine mounts. (side note - Mr. Sschumacher is an incredibly nice person and really helped me with my noob questions).

To accompany the monster motor, I purchased the TTI Ceramic Coated/Thermal Barrier long-tube headers (directly from TTI), still in the box, unopened. These were over $1000 after shipping, but they're the best for the 65 C-body.

I sent the 4-speed 883 trans to Jamie @ Passon Performance in OH. What he said would take 3 weeks actually took him 7 months. That said, he did a complete rebuild on the trans and shifter inspection. The 23 splined trans looks good as new. I received it about 3 weeks ago, it's still in the crate. Cost was $1575.

4 speed 883.jpg

I purchased a 10.95" RAM PowerGrip clutch (#98773) from Summit for $460. Still inbox.

With the motor out of the car, I decided to send the power steering box to get rebuilt @ Firm Feel - $470, still inbox.

Essentially everything is ready to get bolted back up and dropped in. The engine has everything carb to pan, trans, clutch, bell housing, headers, etc. She could use a new ALU radiator, but the original radiator was working fine. If you plan on some track days a new 3rd member, axles, and driveshaft would be the next step, but I'm running bias-ply tires on American Classics for the period look. Don't think these will ever hook up. The only real "must-have" parts that I can think of are pulleys, belts, hoses, and the exhaust?

I can't find any rust on the car. The exterior is in really good shape, but the previous owner had it painted. It's a thin paint though. The black interior is OK, the dash is cracked and the previous owner added an aftermarket steering wheel. The front seat needs upholstery work, but the back seat looks great.

As I said, I drove it with the family for a while, pulled the motor for the transplant and I've simply lost interest. Not looking for trades and I'm not interested in selling ANY parts separately. I'm located just outside of Denver, Colorado (80504). $18,999

Fury 2.jpg
Fury 3.jpg
Fury 4.jpg
Fury 5.jpg
Fury 6.jpg

Fury motor removal.jpg

Yeah, I had no idea that this design was made for 1 year and 1 year only when I bought the car?! The provisions on the engine blocks aren't hard to find, one just needs to make sure prior to your build. That'd be a massive disappointment.

The harder part to find is the engine mounts, at least those that are still in good shape. I was lucky to get a set of these from Schumacher as my original insulator was pretty roached. I think these have been "out of stock" for over a year now?

Everything is out of stock at Schumacher, he closed up shop.

yes 65 C-body left mount is unique, and barely anyone knows about it. Some will argue and tell you they are the same as all the rest.

I like his choice of oil filter, I run those also.

Your car looks Real nice in the photos. Interior photos may help. Fury III so is it a bench seat?

Everything is out of stock at Schumacher, he closed up shop.

yes 65 C-body left mount is unique, and barely anyone knows about it. Some will argue and tell you they are the same as all the rest.

I like his choice of oil filter, I run those also.

Your car looks Real nice in the photos. Interior photos may help. Fury III so is it a bench seat?

Good call - I'll get some interior photos up in the next few days. Yes, bench seat.

Big block A Body cars used the same LH Motor mount as the 65 C Body. I heard their products are coming back, possibly through Another supplier that is buying the tooling. Hope their tri-Y headers make a comeback too, I have a set and they are nice.

I never knew about the motor mount thing either. Is it just the B/RB motors or the 318's too? Same for the B bodies? I know the automatics have the cable shift from the push buttons, a one year thing there too.

Well I am certainly happy that I stumbled on this info.
I bought my 65 Newport with the engine removed.
I even thought about a low deck stroker and looked through my engine stash for a 400 block.
In the end I decided to keep the 383 and I will make sure that the motor mounts are accounted for.

I am far from an expert on the mid 60's cars but there had to be a strange circumstance for a one year item. It is typically never a good sign.
But 65 was a landmark year for Chrysler, they sold a lot of cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back