1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Torsion Bar Removal

bloopar

Reaction score
Been having some trouble removing the passenger-side torsion bar and I am hoping some of the more experienced people here are able to help me out. From my understanding all you need to do is have the car on jack stands so it is not sitting on the front suspension, unbolt and remove the anchor adjuster bolt and accompanied metal swivel, (or whatever it is), move the plastic seal in the rear of the torsion bar forwards so it isn't being pressed against the hex in the rear, and remove the little metal clip in the rear as well.

I have done all of this and yet the torsion bar is not moving, even a little, even after trying to persuade it with a pair of vise-grips and a hammer. I did notice that at the front of the torsion bar, the hex it is resting in seemed a little rusty so I sprayed a healthy dose of WD-40 on that and I am letting it soak for now while I try to figure out my next move. I will also add that at the rear of the torsion bar, the grease seems to be in excellent condition, and there is also A LOT of grease behind that plastic seal, so I will assume that is good.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

I have always done all the steps you said you did. Be sure the torsion bar is unloaded. If you suspect it is stuck in the anchor, hit the anchor with a hammer to "shock" it loose. Be sure the bar is protected from the teeth of the vice grip with a rag.

Last edited:
I have always done all the steps you said you did. Be sure the torsion bar is unloaded. If you suspect it is stuck in the anchor, hit the anchor with a hammer to "shock" it loose. Be sure the bar is protected from the teeth of the vice grip with a rag.
Is the torsion bar unloaded when I remove the anchor adjuster bolt or is there an additional step to make sure it is fully unloaded? I highly suspect it is stuck inside the front anchor, (or whatever the hex thing is called), so maybe trying to hammer it directly on there may free it up a little. Thanks for the reply.

If all else fails, disconnect the lower ball joint, loosen the strut rod, and loosen the 1 1/8" cadtle nut on the LCA pin. Then you can use a big *** pry bar between the LCA and the stub frame to move the whole assembly backwards. Then use a rubber mallet to persuade the LCA back forward. That should give you enough clearance to remove the bar.

I tried striking the anchor but it is not loosening up at all, I wonder if it is just that stuck or if it is still somehow under tension even though it should just be resting in between the two anchors.

A torsion bar removal tool will definitely help. You may want to try a better penetrating spray like PB Blaster. WD-40 is more of a lubricant / solvent. Good luck.

Try seafaom Deep Creep. Best penetrating oil I have found. Sounds like it’s still under tension. Spray broth ends, let it sit and strike again.

Aero Kroil...or Kroil Oil its in an orange can. Costs about 20 bucks. Spray it on, tomorrow morning it'll be laying in the shop floor.

Back