1965 transmission 727 shifter problems?

melvinew

Reaction score
My 1965 Chrysler Newport seems to have some sort of shifter problem. it will shift fine into every gear going down on the column shifter. but if you try to shift back up to neutral or reverse from drive it will not go. wile going back up it will stay in a forward gear while in neutral or reverse until you hit Park. Shift back down it'll go into reverse and neutral just fine until you hit park again then you can't go back through them again unless you shift completely into Park. I have a 1965 factory service manual and have adjusted the cable according to manuals instructions still no change. Any idea why this is?

You 100 percent it's adjusted correctly? Sounds like it over centering or cable is bi nding up

The quick test for proper cable adjustment is to see if the vehicle will start in the Neutral and Park positions, if it starts, you likely have the correct adjustment. If you are certain the cable is adjusted correctly, pull the transmission pan and adjust the bands and replace the fluid and filter to see if that helps. A clogged transmission filter will cause sluggish performance and/or failure to shift properly. If the pan is full of debris, you are likely headed for a rebuild. While you have the pan off, check the bolts for the valve body to be sure that they are all tight as loose valve body bolts can also cause shift issues. Also while you have the pan off, have a helper move the shift lever to be sure the cable is actually moving the shift components in the transmission. Be sure the park brake is applied and the wheels are chocked before doing this operation as the car will be shifted out of gear.

Dave

Would try the trick to make sure it's in neutral or park and start it but it'll start in gear. believe someone has bypass the safety switch at some point in time. transmission pan gasket has been leaking anyways so I'll check it out when I pull the pan by having someone move the selector while watching it with pan off.

Would try the trick to make sure it's in neutral or park and start it but it'll start in gear. believe someone has bypass the safety switch at some point in time. transmission pan gasket has been leaking anyways so I'll check it out when I pull the pan by having someone move the selector while watching it with pan off.
Use the newer dodge reusable gasket, lots of guys, me also, have fought the other style

Back