1966 300 sentinal lighting

Ffranzwa

Reaction score
Hi all. We have a '66 300 2 door h/t that my dad bought in '68. It's well optioned (air, windows including vents, sentinal lights, antenna, trunk, am/fm, clock, reverb, etc). It's deep blue with white interior and a white vinyl top and is powered by a 440 with a dual snorkle cleaner "TNT". Mice must have feasted on the plastic sentinal light adjustment knob on top of the dash. Does anyone have this part for sale?

That sounds like a beautiful car!! Show us pictures please!

The photocell shows up on eBay every so often.

Does it still work but looks like crap due to mouse teeth? The reason I ask is there was an article in the Imperial Club website that detailed the rebuilding of the sensor using parts then available at Radio Shack, but if the mice have chewed on it, then cosmetically it's trashed.

Here's a link to info on the system at the Imperial Club, but the article I remember isn't there, which is too bad. It was quite detailed, and had pictures. "Twilight Sentinel" Repair Information for Your Imperial

The other caveat is that over time, the photocell inside can stop working, so even NOS ones are dead. That's where the article I hope to find for you comes in handy.

Know too that the system "Twilight Sentinel" or "Safety Sentinel" is actually made by GM's Delco division, and was optional on most GM luxury cars of the era as well. Information may be able to be found there, but again, the actual specific Chrysler dash part is a challenge to find.

That sounds like a beautiful car!! Show us pictures please!

The photocell shows up on eBay every so often.

Does it still work but looks like crap due to mouse teeth? The reason I ask is there was an article in the Imperial Club website that detailed the rebuilding of the sensor using parts then available at Radio Shack, but if the mice have chewed on it, then cosmetically it's trashed.

Here's a link to info on the system at the Imperial Club, but the article I remember isn't there, which is too bad. It was quite detailed, and had pictures. "Twilight Sentinel" Repair Information for Your Imperial

The other caveat is that over time, the photocell inside can stop working, so even NOS ones are dead. That's where the article I hope to find for you comes in handy.

Know too that the system "Twilight Sentinel" or "Safety Sentinel" is actually made by GM's Delco division, and was optional on most GM luxury cars of the era as well. Information may be able to be found there, but again, the actual specific Chrysler dash part is a challenge to find.
Thanks Ross. No, the sentinal system quit working a long time ago. I remember my dad was always messing with it, starting when the car wasn't that old. I'm looking for the control knob just for cosmetic purposes. I've had a search alert on ebay under "chrylser imperior 300 sentinal lighting" for a couple of years. but I never got any hits. I had heard that GM developed that system, but GM and Chrysler must have hadt different controls. If you have any leads on a control, please let me know and thanks again for the reply!

I will definitely.

I am fortunate that the Sentinel on my 66 T&C still works flawlessly. I attribute that to the fact the car was rarely if ever parked out in the sun for any length of time, so the photocell was never exposed to punishing light levels.

I will definitely.

I am fortunate that the Sentinel on my 66 T&C still works flawlessly. I attribute that to the fact the car was rarely if ever parked out in the sun for any length of time, so the photocell was never exposed to punishing light levels.
I was told that 440 300's got 15" wheels (and possibly disks). After Dad bought it (I was 7), I remember him complaining that the odometer had been tampered with and the block was a warranty (has a Chrysler tag on the block). As I got older, we guessed that the car was a dealer-ordered car (due to the extent of the options) and that someone trashed the original engine. In the late 70's, a drunk hit the front end of our parked car and back then, we never thought to tell the body shop to save the fender tags (I'm sure it was a two-tag car) and Dad had the white interior redone after the body was repaired/repainted, so I'm guessing the build sheet is gone as well. Bummer! Our car has drums and 14's.

15" wheels were optional (trailer tow etc.), and so were discs which required 15s. Discs or 15s were not included as part of the 300 package even with the 440 unless discs or the wheel size themselves were specified on the option form. Disc brakes had a unique wheel cover as well. I am not sure what wheel cover was used for 15" wheels when specified without discs. While I could be wrong, manual drums and 14s were the default with power drums being optional on 383 cars. 440 cars got power drums with a 2.75 or 3" front shoe and and either a 2 or 2.5" rear shoe - Craig ( @mobileparts ) will give the correct USA information on those options. There was also a 3" all around heavy duty drum option, then discs and 15s.

Too bad about the history of the car, but at least it's being taken care of, and not gone to the crusher years ago. I really would like to see more pictures!

Your fender tag(s) can possibly be restored - I am not sure if there were 2 tag cars in 66 except for an assembly line inspection tag that is sometimes seen. In 66, almost every conceivable option had a place on the single tag, however, keep in mind that only options that required holes to be drilled in the car body were typically noted on the tag. Others of course were on the build sheet.

If you really wanted to get the car back to original, a date coded 440 block would be the only way to go, since serial numbers were not stamped into blocks until 68 I believe. Therefore the term "numbers matching" can't apply prior to 68s. The only option one has is "date code correct". The date code, or more properly, the sequence code on the fender tag shows the order date (not the true assembly date which could be a tad later), so the block would have to have a casting and assembly date earlier than that. For example, my Monaco (early dealer ordered with a 440 and 4 speed) has a sequence date of October 7, 65, which shows up as A (for Oct) 07 for the day on the tag. Cars built after Jan 1 of the model year show as 1 - 7 (Jan - July). My Monaco's engine is a very early built 440, with a casting date of June 28 of 65.

Back