1966 383 Water Pump Numbers

Fireflite56

Reaction score
Does anyone have the factory Mopar water pump on their non-A/C, non-California 383 1966 Fury that can look at the casting number? I am looking to confirm what the original casting number was for my '66 Fury III. Per the parts book, it appears it should be *part number* 2448326, but that is not going to be the same as the casting number on the pump. The shop manual says it's 10 blades 4.38" diameter for 383 2 bbl and 4 bbl cars without A/C or CAP. I am looking to identify a proper original for rebuild for my survivor car to replace the aftermarket one. Finding a core isn't difficult once I know what I need. I am not interested in an aftermarket solution. Thanks in advance.

Resized_20230718_201350.jpeg

20230825_132323.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I suspect the casting number might be the same for any of the pumps, as it's the number of vanes that make the difference between a/c and non-a/c. The aftermarket can do their own "reasonable facsimile" castings to their own liking.

Just a thought,
CBODY67

Sometimes the part number and the casting number are the same but in this case I don't think so - see my post below.

Once you do find the correct casting, keep in mind that there will be a date code cast into the pump too - it should be a date that is prior to the engine assembly date which is found stamped on the pad at the front of the engine near the intake manifold.

If there is nobody local to you, there are people here in Ontario Canada that rebuild/remanufacture - the "numbers matching" and "original parts to the car" game is a hot commodity here with all the high end resto shops around. I would reach out to John Stuart Power Brake in Hamilton, ON.

Auto Water Pump Remanufacturers / Rebuilders - Canada, GTA, Hamilton, Brakes, Steering, rebuild, remanufacture, water, vacuum, pump

I will try to get a pic of the water pump on my 440 (which would be the same) - I know it's been replaced with another Mopar casting, but I can't guarantee if it's a later or correct part number.

Last edited:
Galen Govier sells a couple books on casting numbers. I never bought one, so I can't tell you if it has the info you need or not.

I looked and Mega Parts sells the books for $20 -25.

While I'm sure those books are aimed at the B and E body crowd, I would think a water pump casting number would be across the board. BTW, that number is hidden under the pulley... Just sayin...

2843 290 is the number cast into the water pump on mine. It's genuine Mopar as indicated by the pentastar above the number, but the number indicates it is a later model year version, most likely 67 or 68.

I looked in my 67, 68 and 69 catalogues, and nothing comes up for that number. The water pump part numbers are the same for big blocks without AC for all 3 years.

I think you're right, and in this case the casting number doesn't go with the part number, due to the casting working for both AC and non AC applications.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

1693005215267.png

Galen Govier sells a couple books on casting numbers. I never bought one, so I can't tell you if it has the info you need or not.

I looked and Mega Parts sells the books for $20 -25.

While I'm sure those books are aimed at the B and E body crowd, I would think a water pump casting number would be across the board. BTW, that number is hidden under the pulley... Just sayin...
And speaking of the Galen Govier reference books…

I have the Volume I Tenth Edition and Volume II Third Edition of the Chrysler Corporation Part & Casting Numbers Book. Interestingly enough, it only includes the water pump housing cast/part numbers; nothing for the actual water pump.

You could try calling him, he lists a number in his reference books - 608-326-6346

I can highly recommend all his reference books - indispensable when I go to swap meets (especially if the parts belong to non-MOPAR fanatics) or running around junk yards.

One other resource is Jerry at J&J Parts. He’s in Starke Florida and is very knowledgeable. Jerry would be a go-to person for date correct parts. I think he’s a known commodity on FCBO, since there are past threads about his place. I have never been to his place, but chat/buy from him at various swap meets in the South. 904 964 5039.

Good luck with finding your cast number.

Thanks everyone for the input. My girlfriend was able to look at some water pumps on original big block engines and parts cars that haven't been changed from new (with particular focus around 1964-1968) and put together a reasonably confident list of what was available. What we have tentatively found (this will be an ongoing investigation for me to confirm with more examples) is the following:

1958-1960ish: The first Mopar big block water pumps appear to be a 10 blade version for the non-A/C cars and should be casting number 1859250. This style I believe also uses the round face for the fan bolt mounting. I have a '59 DeSoto with a 383, so this is something I'd like to know for that car and ultimately rebuild a correct core as a spare for road trips. That car is more of a driver though, so I haven't been quite as worried about the numbers up to this point, nor has it required a replacement or rebuild in the time I have owned it.

1961ish-1964: The second iteration of this pump has a casting number of 2402921. The same casting number was used for A/C and non-A/C cars with a difference in blade count. Somewhere around this time was the change from 10 blades to 8 for non-A/C cars (A/C cars remain at 6). However, the shop manuals appear to not have been updated to match, so my '66 manual continues specifying a 10 blade pump.

1964-1971ish: The third iteration of this pump has a casting number of 2843290. This is what I need for the Fury and I have located a date-correct core for rebuild. This is the same as above regarding the number of blades and a shared casting A/C to non-A/C. This has a "cross" style for the fan bolt mounting surface.

1972ish-1978: The fourth and last iteration of this pump has a casting number of 3671083. With this iteration also changed the shape of the casting from the previous style, which was flat with a snout in the middle, to more of a cone shape.

And yes, I realize this is a lot of work for something that I can't see on the car behind the fan pulley. I figure if I am going to locate and rebuild a pump, it might as well be the correct one for a car that is this much of a survivor.

Back