1966 Chrysler 300 Resto-mod

Thanks can't flip. I appreciate the feedback. Car is solid was in California for all it's life just now this past month did I bring it up to Salt Lake City. I like your thinking, and I am now changing my thoughts to restoration, especially after receiving a quote of $70K to resto.

Thanks 1978 NYB for the link. High elevation in Salt Lake City robs power from makes carbureted engines, fuel injection is very attractive option.

Thanks WorkerBee
Appreciate the links. Since C-Body does not have a frame, it will require significant fabrication and mods, so I"m moving away from new GEN Hemi and leaning towards rebuilding 383 or 440, preferably with fuel injection. Agree on suspension, brakes... Btw I got a quote for $70K to do resto-mod...which is too much investment for this project. So restoration it is!

Thanks can't flip. I appreciate the feedback. Car is solid was in California for all it's life just now this past month did I bring it up to Salt Lake City. I like your thinking, and I am now changing my thoughts to restoration, especially after receiving a quote of $70K to resto.

The pleasure is mine... I would save any of these from the blade or torch if I can. A solid unibody is stronger than body on frame construction, but much more difficult to modify because all of the car lends to it's strength. The factory suspension was very good for its era and much stronger than suspensions today. As long as parts are available and your not on a road course or running through the Rockies, your drum brakes can be kept working just fine.

You don't have to give up the dream, but make your mods bolt-ons. The beauty of that plan is you can always undo it back to stock and if you plan it well you can drive the car most of the way through the project. Anytime you feel like doing a change that would disable the car, post here and I know you will get some good thoughts and advise. I think disabling a hobby car is the death of too many of them... the idea of completely rebuilding/restoring a car has lots of sex appeal... you'll make her a virgin again and all your own. The time, money, place to work, skilled labor is required for many tasks... it gets overwhelming and the project loses interest too often.

You are starting with what appears to be a great cruiser, enjoy the car while you make decisions. If you want to upgrade the brakes and suspension, think about how you really want to use the car and research your options thoroughly... make a plan, take on all you feel capable of yourself and spend time finding a quality shop or mechanic who is knowledgeable and willing to help you, not scold you for the changes you want to make. The guys here will give lots of input, give them lots of pictures to work from... good clear pics are a challenge to get on your back, under the car... but will do worlds of help so others can see and advise on repairs and mods.

The 440/727 build cores are cheap and turn up everywhere... there is a big investment involved in making big power and reliability. There is a entire industry waiting for your dollars. Drive your car and enjoy it before deciding to make it into something different. You may find you love the ride and the power this car already has, and only desire small enhancements. Lots are easy to do, and easy to undo if you plan it well in advance.

Keep us posted... we love your car and hope you get all the enjoyment from her you can.

Last edited:
Take a Formal, rebuild it with quality OEM type stuff, add FI......
Will run better than any $70k resto-mod (and my NA 440 runs like a sewing machine motor).

I've met couple of guys with the 440 FI kit. They said it was an easy install and tune.

I've met couple of guys with the 440 FI kit. They said it was an easy install and tune.

But 10X the cost of a carb... hard on a cheap guy... I want to play around with one someday and see what I think... of course I still have to buy the car... damn

But 10X the cost of a carb... hard on a cheap guy... I want to play around with one someday and see what I think... of course I still have to buy the car... damn

I have this picture of you cutting and pasting all this amazing information from these threads into an Encyclopedia of How I will Build My Car ....when I buy it. OK the Lottomax is at 60M tonight, when I win it I will buy you a car and deliver it to you personally. Public Record now can't take it back....

i have this picture of you cutting and pasting all this amazing information from these threads into an encyclopedia of how i will build my car ....when i buy it. Ok the lottomax is at 60m tonight, when i win it i will buy you a car and deliver it to you personally. Public record now can't take it back....

SOLD!

And my thoughts are not well documented...hardly at all in fact. Its all in my head and the ADD makes I real f@#kin hard to keep straight... especially with all the cool stuff... now I want the color to be Bittersweet... that'll change too...

Back