1966 Dodge Polara 489cui stroker header quest....

Eckhard

Reaction score
Hi,
starting on march 2022, our Polara will go to the paint shop.
A lot of work, but the base is realy good and I collected parts over 3 years.

Next week the block will go to the machine shop and after that I will order the stroker Kit from 440source.
Will use a CC XE284, modified Sidewinder heads, 440 roller rocker, Edelbrock RPM, mod 727, Hughes converter, etc....
The problem I have in the moment is to find suitable headers.
I wanted to have the Schumacher Hi-Flow Tri-Y Under Chassis B/RB Headers, but no way.... I contacted them and there is no chance to get them any more.
The second option is TTI - https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTiC6573-383178.htm

I must keep the power steering (lol C-Body), but I can't live with stock headers (makes no sense with the calculated engine power).

Can and will someone recommend a different brand/type, that will fit in the car?

I had the same problem with the headers for our 73 duster (warm 360)... painfull installation and just a hair clearance for the steering column and the engine needs to be hard mounted.

I hope you can help me

PS... I'm from germany, so please don't judge any mistakes in the lines above too hard ;-)

AND.... if someone has a set of Hi-Flow Tri-Y Under Chassis B/RB Headers for sale, let me know :thumbsup:

And some pictures..... My Mopars....

DSC07700.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....

found this:
Announcement!!

Schumacher Creative Services has been acquired by the Southern California based Mopar shop, Motech Performance. We're working on assembling kits, starting with our most popular. In the following months we'll be back up 100% with most everything in stock ready to ship.

If there is a product you are interested in, please send us a message on Facebook and we will add you to our list. Thank you all again for your support and patience!

I will send them an email......

I have tti headers on my 440 in my 66 Polara. I would have had no issues, but I believe my stubframe is bent slightly. I had to use a shim kit from Schumacher to get the engine to sit level so the headers would clear the steering linkage. My aftermarket idler arm had the grease zert on the top of the rear pivot, so I took it out. Other than that, the headers fit fine. Plenty of room for the steering gear. I did lift the engine when installing one side, can't remember which one. Just had to raise it an inch or so. I used their 3" kit for the pipes, and it went on pretty easily. A lift would make it quicker than laying on your back like I did. They are expensive, but have thick flanges and the gaskets they provide are thick as well. No issues with them I'm any way since I installed them.

Thanks so far ..... I think I will order from TTI,because the Motech Performance announcement was probably an advertisement joke :)

Thanks so far ..... I think I will order from TTI,because the Motech Performance announcement was probably an advertisement joke :)
If you want tri y's, contact Motech. Someone did purchase Schumacher and they are ramping up production. I don't know where they are at with the headers, but an email should get you a timeframe they expect to have them.

If you want tri y's, contact Motech. Someone did purchase Schumacher and they are ramping up production. I don't know where they are at with the headers, but an email should get you a timeframe they expect to have them.

Hi,

that's what I tried after I found the small announcement....
Via contact form and via Facebook.... no answer till now.

A guy from the German Mopar-forum.eu tried to get in contact a while ago - same thing, no reply.

I will try to call them.... keep you informed.

Thank you, Eckhard

BTW, Santa showed up just before Halloween?!?!
He had a real nice gift in his a sack for me - searched for it since 1,5 years :D
Hope to find the bezel for the other instrument, too.
DP66.jpg

I saw the announcement on FB about Schumacher being bought, asked in a comment if they would be making the Try-Y headers again, and they replied yes. It would be good to know definitively, as I've been telling people that they will be available again.

I saw the announcement on FB about Schumacher being bought, asked in a comment if they would be making the Try-Y headers again, and they replied yes. It would be good to know definitively, as I've been telling people that they will be available again.

January this year I asked Schumacher.... and this was the reply:

I apologize for the lack of response to the previous emails and Facebook messages. I rarely look at Facebook and the person responsible for doing so is no longer with us. We are not out of business but have certainly scaled back. We no longer will have phone support, I can only be contacted by email. The address is: [email protected]. We are winding down, heading toward retirement. My wife is recovering from cancer and I want to spend the time we have together. Thank you for understanding.

Regards, Eckhard

January this year I asked Schumacher.... and this was the reply:

I apologize for the lack of response to the previous emails and Facebook messages. I rarely look at Facebook and the person responsible for doing so is no longer with us. We are not out of business but have certainly scaled back. We no longer will have phone support, I can only be contacted by email. The address is: [email protected]. We are winding down, heading toward retirement. My wife is recovering from cancer and I want to spend the time we have together. Thank you for understanding.

Regards, Eckhard
That would have been prior to the purchase of Schumacher by Motech. It was in July when I saw the announcement on FB. I asked in the comments if they're going to start making headers again and they said yes.

www.facebook.com/EngineSwaps/posts/4213895412011491

Ha, today I received a pm via Facebook from Motech:

Hi Eckhard. Schumacher Creative Services is still around, but they're now owned my the same guy who owns Motech Performance. We have 50 sets of the B/RB Headers being produced right now, I will put you on our interest list and let you know when they're ready to sell. Thank You!

And a little update....
Yesterday I had a telephone call with Chris from Motech Performance.

Tri-Y Headers are in stock and I ordered them.

Nice guy on the phone!!

Just my opinion, but Tri-Y headers on a big block stroker would yield only a few more hp & torque than hi-perf manifolds. Obviously it’s a choice for the owner; just trying to be the voice of reason.

Just my opinion, but Tri-Y headers on a big block stroker would yield only a few more hp & torque than hi-perf manifolds. Obviously it’s a choice for the owner; just trying to be the voice of reason.

Yes, that may be, but if you compare them to stock exhaust manifolds.... the Tri-Y are way better and also better for installation than the TTI's :thumbsup:

@Shamu70 I looked up Sidewinder heads which the OP wants to use. They have angled plugs like Edelbrock heads. I know from experience with Edelbrock heads that angled plugs don't work with HP manifolds, constantly burning #7 plug boot, but fitment is very good with Schumacher tri-Y headers.

Hi,

a happy day in Germany..... yesterday I ordered a lot of parts from 440-Source, including the 489 Stroker-Kit (Kit + 34 other parts) -ALL AVAILABLE!
And today I received the package with the Tri-Y headers.

Hope the whole project can start in April - a lot of work, including paint job, brakes, seats, etc.
I just put the parts together to check some mechanical things and once, the pistons have arrived, the block is going to the machine shop.

A good start for the weekend :)

IMG_20220207_193656.jpg

IMG_20220211_102154.jpg

IMG_20220211_102209.jpg

IMG_20220211_102258.jpg

Hi,

Next week the block will go to the machine shop and after that I will order the stroker Kit from 440source.
Will use a CC XE284, modified Sidewinder heads, 440 roller rocker, Edelbrock RPM, mod 727, Hughes converter, etc....
I wanted to have the Schumacher Hi-Flow Tri-Y Under Chassis B/RB Headers, but no way.... I contacted them and there is no chance to get them any more.

I must keep the power steering (lol C-Body), but I can't live with stock headers (makes no sense with the calculated engine power).

Can and will someone recommend a different brand/type, that will fit in the car?

I had the same problem with the headers for our 73 duster (warm 360)... painfull installation and just a hair clearance for the steering column and the engine needs to be hard mounted.

I hope you can help me

PS... I'm from germany, so please don't judge any mistakes in the lines above too hard ;-)

AND.... if someone has a set of Hi-Flow Tri-Y Under Chassis B/RB Headers for sale, let me know :thumbsup:

View attachment 492762
So can you go to a Chrysler dealer in Germany and buy a RAM pickup?

Hi,

I hope you can help me

View attachment 492762
How disappointed are you with the Hughes converter? As unless you buy a custom made race deal they never stall at advertised & have alot of issue's. As we sold them at the speed shop I worked at for many year's.

How disappointed are you with the Hughes converter? As unless you buy a custom made race deal they never stall at advertised & have alot of issue's. As we sold them at the speed shop I worked at for many year's.
I used a Hughes torque converter behind the 440 in my 1970 Fury convertible. Acceleration and Performance have been excellent. Bigger Flex plate to torque converter bolts at 7/16" thread allow greater torque on the flex plate. I torqued mine at 40'lbs. Much less chance of a loose flex plate. Only down side is the larger bolt heads occasionally hit the torque converter access plate. Overall, I am satisfied with Hughes torque converter 24-25HD for street use. I have no race experience with it.

Back