Finished the passenger side pipe up.
20231205_121304.jpg

Not too bad overall.
20231205_124919.jpg

20231205_124932.jpg

Sits up underneath tidily enough.

Sounds okay, also

Phil

It's now resumed firing on 6. Probably got a fouled plug or two.
Moved it from one driveway to the other so I had room to clean my wife's car; it ran but it's not happy.
20231207_120719.jpg

Put the rear bumper on to check the fit of the pipes. They're in the right place so that's good. I think I'll just leave them like that for now.

Phil

Last edited:
It's got an eight cylinder engine, how about we get it working on all eight?

Better. Cleaned the plugs. Really needs new plugs but that can wait. Also need to check see why I'm getting that much steam from the left bank, might be head or intake gasket.

Phil

Set the ignition timing. Ran the idle down real low and fine tuned the mixture.

That'll do! (I've since set it to the correct idle speed)

Phil

No. 2 cylinder wasn't firing well, particularly at idle.
20231210_151637.jpg

Checked the compression. Well, not too much wrong there, nearly 125psi. Certainly enough to get it to fire at low RPM.
Tested the wire, good. Tested the plug, bad. Went bought a new one.
20231210_153708.jpg

Checked the gap, tastes fine.

That's certainly better at idle, real smooth.
20231210_161044.jpg

Tightened the alternator belt up, changes nicely now. That's good too.
20231210_143555.jpg

Net result, it will peel out.

Phil

A shiny, yet functional piece.
20231211_141826.jpg

Going to hook up a pcv system because this engine breathes a little heavily to have open top oil fillers.

Phil

Just ordered the master brake distribution block.
Need to get some brake pipe and fittings. Does anyone have part numbers for the flexible brake hoses for a C-body?

They're fairly universal for our cars, except for length, as far as I know. I wouldn't reuse old ones incase they're compromised inside and might collapse internally. For a few bux you can have nice new ones.

Craig will have, but also, because of their universality, most jobbers can get them too, using year make model application. Original part numbers may not help...

I bought Raybestos BH36611 for the front and BH24058 for the rear of my Monacos, from Rockauto. $36 for the hoses.

Any good parts store should have them, or be able to get them in a day.

Awaiting pictures.
Unfortunately a rather droll item; a brand new old stock, not completely worn out, valve block for my gearbox.
Both mine are worn out in the same way and despite managing to make one significantly better, it still acts the fool when it's hot.
I think one thing that'll help is ignoring Detroit Gear's advice and changing the hydraulic oil at much closer intervals. This oil has done 2500 miles and is already turning brown, and all that friction material abrades the steel/alloy interface of the valves.

Hopefully that'll make it shift properly again.

Phil

Back